Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Calais ve

Joopjbc89

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 holden calais
Been having trouble with charging the battery
When I first start my car the voltage is low around 11 volts and battery light keeps coming on and off
Would this be an alternator replacement or repair?
Anyone else had this type of issue

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Hi Joopjbc89, yes it will be the alternator, get it changed ASAP, because a friend of mine mentioned the same thing a couple of times, and was lasy to change it, and unded up driving to the Tullamarine Airport and it came on again, and got as far as the turnoff at Essendon Airport and the car started shutting down its safety features as the Battery Voltage got lower, and lower, eventually it died, the Man in the Little Yellow Van was called to the resuce, them the Little man with the Big Yellow Flat Top had to tow it away, he got it towed back home, he missed his original flight, but was able to catch the following one, being he is on the road all the time, he didn't have time to book the car in to be fixed, so I rang around a few places, and found a guy in Thomastown that had a direct replacement and bought one from him, fitted and all done.
PS: Replace the Battery also, as you never really quite sure how old they are, and if they have been/become faulty internally.

Last edited:

Joopjbc89

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 holden calais
I just started my car on my break it starts off as 14.6 volts then all of a sudden drops to 11.8 and the battery light comes on
Thanks for advice krusing going to book it in next week to replace the alternator I’ll keep posted on if that’s the issue

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I just started my car on my break it starts off as 14.6 volts then all of a sudden drops to 11.8 and the battery light comes on
Thanks for advice krusing going to book it in next week to replace the alternator I’ll keep posted on if that’s the issue

The Stealerships will want to charged you $550+GST "Just for the Alternator" [that's what they quoted my Friend] + Install to replace it,
Do your Self a Favour, "Get a Quote"
You buy an alternator off eBay, [local to you, as you can pick it up],
and I will replace it for you for $200 Cash, as I have done a few of them.
[Its a bit of mongrel of a Job if its a V8, If you like to come to me, as I'm in the Bayside Area]
What Engine is it V6 or V8 ?

Last edited:

Joopjbc89

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 holden calais
Sorry just got your post
Already changed the alternator and belt cost me $620 which isn’t too bad
But when i drive my car the votage is still lower then 14 volts super weird
But at least the battery light doesn’t come on anymore I guess that’s a plus