Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] Calais VX II, installing Kenwood DDX5015BT with steering wheel controls

Herakles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 3.8 V6 S/C
This is easy when you know how, after much research, here it is.

The amp and the subs work, you get Siri and handsfree calling out of the box without one of those little black gizmos that everyone seems to try and sell you.

Firstly get yourself an Aerpro harness and the Aerpro install brackets, a regular DDIN cage won't fit in the hole and the extra length of the cable is helpful. I will assume you can do all the plug it in stuff. There is a Youtube video by Aerpro for doing the fitting side of things that is pretty good. Use the holes that line the brackets up to where the black front of the stereo meets the metal part otherwise it will stick out way too much. The Commodore surround that comes with Aerpro kit wont fit in the Calais, but the Kenwood one fits ok with a slightly larger gap at the bottom of the stereo when it is finished, but is barely noticeable.

Although you are going to be excited to get your new sounds going, do yourself a favour, set aside a couple of hours and avoid taking shortcuts in dismantling the dash or you will pay for it in frustration. I suggest also that you make a nice neat job of it taping the wires together so you can feed them through the hole in the stereo box and manoeuvre them around in behind and not accidentally pull out the Mic or SW plugs when you are positioning things. All those wires certainly wont all fit in the stereo box behind the stereo, remove the glovebox and the panel that attaches to the console in the left hand footwell so you can get access to the wiring albeit somewhat tight.

Anyway the wires that you are looking for that no one can find are in the smaller 6 pin plug that currently fits into the back of your Maestro. One wire is Brown, the other is Black with a yellow stripe. These may be different on a VXI, my manual says Black/Red rather than Brown but it wasn't the case in my car.

Anyway I tested the circuit between these 2 wires with a multimeter, pressing each SW button sequentially, each button has a different resistance and the stereo recognises this to determine what you want it to do, you get to customise these in the stereo settings when you are all connected. You can even decide if you want them to do other functions instead. I do recommend you test the circuit with a multimeter in case yours is different. You may need the key on accessories for them to work. You will get a different resistance reading for each button you press, this is a good indication you have the right pair of wires.

When I identified these 2 wires I cut them and took them out of the existing loom and bound them separately.

When you programme the buttons in the stereo menu, hold each button til the indicator shows on the stereo, maybe 5 secs.

Take a look at the pictures, and by all means feel free to ask questions.

Be aware the pic of the back of the stereo has the remote lead plugged into the wrong hole, be sure to plug it into the hole marked remote in.

Attachments

• IMG_1090.jpg
    IMG_1090.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,160
  • IMG_1091.jpg
    IMG_1091.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,003
  • IMG_1092.jpg
    IMG_1092.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,067
  • IMG_1093.jpg
    IMG_1093.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 2,149
  • IMG_1094.jpg
    IMG_1094.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,619
  • IMG_1103.jpg
    IMG_1103.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 1,152
Last edited:

Dvdunknown

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II Calais S-Pac
Did you have any issues with the programming? I see the option in the menu but can't select it

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Last time he has been on here was 29-05-2016.
So I sent a PM to him for you.

Herakles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 3.8 V6 S/C
Did you have any issues with the programming? I see the option in the menu but can't select it

When I first got it connected, the stereo didn't recognise that I had SWC connected until I had ignition in the go position (not accessories and held down one of the keys for a few seconds) aside from that, the option was there on the stereo.

Herakles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 3.8 V6 S/C
Also just be aware that when you programme the keys you have to hold them down a bit longer than you would expect for the stereo to see that you have pressed a key before it asks you to choose the option for the button, but once they are programmed up they work fine. I spent 3 weekends figuring this out, have to admit I got a bit frustrated over that time, thought it would never work, now I could do it start to finish in a couple of hours.

Herakles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 3.8 V6 S/C
Oh one other thing, 1 of the times I removed and reinstalled the stereo cos I had plugged the control cable into the wrong 3.5mm plug hole on the back of the stereo, there are several, use the one by the bank of RCA plugs called remote in, my bad, I posted a misleading pic with it plugged into the wrong hole, I have edited the post.

Be keen to hear how you get on.