Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Calibre Brake Pads

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
Anyone have any experience with theses brakes pads?
are they super dusty, not give a good feel etc or are they rated up there with the better quality brands?

On the topic of better brands - Ferrodo, i hear they are considered to be a pretty good brake pad now?
ive used them before with no real complaints but i always rated them as a "cheaper" option if you couldnt afford the Bendix range.

Pads wil be going on a VXII SS Manual with new rotors (may or may not be slotted - depends on funds on the day)

If it makes any difference, I like initial bite in braking, i dont like brake fade.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Oh Brother , don't do that. Don't put Calibre Super-Crap pads on a friggin SS commodore !!! If your gonna spend your cash and get a good set of rotors, spend another $20 and get a DECENT SET OF PADS. Pads are more important than rotors IMO. Bendix or QFM. Get a price from GSL on QFM's.
If you still want to buy pads from super cheap look on the shelf next to the calibre ones and you'll find Bendix Ultra Premium, which are exclusive to Super Cheap, and are a decent everyday pad.

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
i didnt say i was going to buy them - i asked what they were like as i had never seen them before.
1st option is ALWAYS Bendix anyway.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
thanks for clearing that up. i have no idea what they are like, wouldn't spend my money on em to find out. Going by the Calibre oils, which say they are really good but if you read the label are only SG rated ( rubbish) i doubt the pads would be any good at all.
and for the record, i put those Bendix Ultra premiums on my VS about 15,000 K's ago. They have been a good quiet pad for me, but i'd say the SRT's etc, and QFM's would have more bite.

sway9

The Rejectz Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT, Mazda 3 SP23, Hyundai Getz 1.4ltr
i got ferrodo's in mine all round with DBA standard rotors. had calibres in the back and they got dusty and noisy thn out of no where one day brakin from bout 90km/h no word of a lie the pad broke it was only 2 weeks old wat hapened was one of the pads wore uneven and caught sumhow i was pulling parts of pad from my rotor and piston. so a 40 dollar set of pads cost me and other 40 for ferrodos and the extra 50 for the rotor. if you got a VX SS i say go DBA slotted and Bendix with the titanium layer for pads you wont get any better unless you can find a set up from say a porsche or ferrari

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
1st option is ALWAYS Bendix anyway.
Brand loyalist aye? Unfortunately Bendix stopped making decent pads about a decade ago... :(

Pads have come up on here a fair bit recently. A quick search brings up a few threads, and also alot of comments from people on Bendix pads that have since tried something else. IMHO you only buy Bendix if you're the government, were a fan of Metal Kings a decade ago (as I was), or you buy fancy advertising...

My favorite quote of late:
Morton said:
Most things are better than Bendix, I've found. They're well advertised, but that's about it.
^ That sums it up pretty well.

Have a squiz at:
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vn-vp-holden-commodore-1988-1993/87616-best-brake-pads.html
From about post 15 through to page 2.

- QFM HPX (Bendix Ultimate type performance, minus dust) is $131 delivered front and rear. The fronts in VT-VZ are also the full face 'police spec' pads that Bendix try and charge close to $150 for fronts alone.

- QFM A1RM (Ferodo DS2500, EBC Red etc.) is $191 delivered front and rear, and again in the full face 'police spec' front pads.

QFM also isn't limited to Commodores, earlier today I stumbled across this pretty decent write up:
OpelAus

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
are QFM avail in NZ?

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
Not sure if they are officially, but we've started sending a few pads over. From memory I think postage on a set of front and rear (3.5kg) is about $50... dunno what else is available over there, but that should still be pretty price competitive.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450

jet-6

Yer im that guy!
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ SX6 ADVENTRA
Im about to install a set of PROTEX Ultra Ceramics to see what there like