Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Calling All Panel Beaters

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
ok, bout two years ago i got the grey bumper bits on my front bar re-sprayed body colour by a professional panel beater place. when i went to pick it up he told me that soon the paint would flake because i used to put tyre shine on it (make them look glossy) to which i said 'did you use wax & grease remover?' he goes 'of course we did, but it still didnt come off' asked him 'did you try it a 2nd time?' but either way wasnt getting too far with. when it did start pealing i noticed there wasnt any sign of primer. one of my mates told me plastic primer is clear? anyone clarify?

long story short paints starting to come off. i want to sand it down, put down a coat of primer then respray it myself. i need advice on what grit sandpaper i should use on the buzz to remove the paint. should i use plastic primer or will normal primer do?. and i got the paint code (J073) if i go to a paint shop what should i ask for? all i really want to do is put it in a spray gun, hook it up to a compressor and spray and let it dry and thats it. no mixing, no laying down one coat then clear coat.

here are some pics. all advice is welcome..

DSCN1708.jpg

DSCN1703.jpg

DSCN1705.jpg

DSCN1706.jpg

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
Jo73 is called Heron White.

you also need Bumper primer which is called Flexaid or something like that.

sand as normal, make sure you get all the crap off.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
the plastic primer i bought was clear i dont know if all of it is like that though

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
You might find it easier to go to Autobarn and they will mix the colour and put it in an aerosol can, friend of mine did the bumpers and trim at bottoms of doors on a BMW and it came up fantastic, it looks just as good as a panel shop job, i couldn't believe he got the result he did from spray cans. A few little tricks to it, I remember one was he warmed the cans in hot water prior to spraying a few others he mentioned but I can't remember them.
From memory he said the cans were somewhere around the $20 mark. Probably have to buy the primer and maybe some clear as well. Just another option.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
what grit sandpaper should i use?

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
ok, bout two years ago i got the grey bumper bits on my front bar re-sprayed body colour by a professional panel beater place. when i went to pick it up he told me that soon the paint would flake because i used to put tyre shine on it (make them look glossy) to which i said 'did you use wax & grease remover?' he goes 'of course we did, but it still didnt come off' asked him 'did you try it a 2nd time?' but either way wasnt getting too far with. when it did start pealing i noticed there wasnt any sign of primer. one of my mates told me plastic primer is clear? anyone clarify?

long story short paints starting to come off. i want to sand it down, put down a coat of primer then respray it myself. i need advice on what grit sandpaper i should use on the buzz to remove the paint. should i use plastic primer or will normal primer do?. and i got the paint code (J073) if i go to a paint shop what should i ask for? all i really want to do is put it in a spray gun, hook it up to a compressor and spray and let it dry and thats it. no mixing, no laying down one coat then clear coat.

here are some pics. all advice is welcome..

Tyre shine is a painters worst nightmare.....Once it gets into the plastics you will never get it back out again.

All plastic primers are clear, but you need to use a product called anti static before you plastic prime, otherwise the plastic primer won't stick properly.

You need to be very careful sanding plastics as if the paper is too coarse the surface will become "furry". I personally wouldn't use a buzzer, i would rub it by hand with some 800 grit wet until the existing paint feathers out. Once the surface is sanded, you will be able to put a couple of light coats of normal acrylic primer on, let that dry then give that a light sand back with 800 wet aswell, then hit it with some paint. If you are going to paint the whole bumper, give it all a scuff up with 800 wet too, if not just mask up the areas to be painted and away you go.

As someone else said, for a home job you should be able to get the paint mixed up in an spray can and use spray can acrylic primer aswell. Otherwise, you have to buy paint, thinners, primer, gun wash etc. Make sure you prepsol the surface before paint.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Tyre shine is a painters worst nightmare.....Once it gets into the plastics you will never get it back out again.

All plastic primers are clear, but you need to use a product called anti static before you plastic prime, otherwise the plastic primer won't stick properly.

You need to be very careful sanding plastics as if the paper is too coarse the surface will become "furry". I personally wouldn't use a buzzer, i would rub it by hand with some 800 grit wet until the existing paint feathers out. Once the surface is sanded, you will be able to put a couple of light coats of normal acrylic primer on, let that dry then give that a light sand back with 800 wet aswell, then hit it with some paint. If you are going to paint the whole bumper, give it all a scuff up with 800 wet too, if not just mask up the areas to be painted and away you go.

As someone else said, for a home job you should be able to get the paint mixed up in an spray can and use spray can acrylic primer aswell. Otherwise, you have to buy paint, thinners, primer, gun wash etc. Make sure you prepsol the surface before paint.

cheers blown.

ye, i plan on just re-spraying the bumperettes. the rest of the bar is fine. what is the anti static stuff? does it come in a can or is it like scotch bright?

ill wet rub it down with 800 (just gotta find a block) then hit with a spray can of plastic primer, wet rub that up a little bit then see about getting my paint in a spray can and give that a shot. if im not happy with the finished product ill just go about it with a proper spray gun.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
the reason it flakes is because of poor bondage to the surface

as mention once tyre shined a plastic will retain it for a while making it hard for making anythings to stick

at work we use a scuff paste on all new bars and plastic before anything
this is used with a scotchy and then the bar is washed with water
the paste removes all the sillicone compounds from the orignal moulding of the part and also promotes adhesion
then followed but a coat of plastic primer before painting

out of curiousty do you high presure was the car?

as the bumperttes were painted seprate you will always have a edge where the paint stops,
this edge with poor adhesion will cause a little lift in one spot and once you hit it with water its going too just keep on going

to completly rid the prob i would say paint the whole bar
as more then likly you will have this prob in a few years - months or even weeks
depends if you want a quick fix or properly

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
ok, just got back from autobarn. bought 2 sheets of 800 wetrub. K&H adhesion bumper primer and a can of their white paint (to suit my car) ill prob start it all tonight.