Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cam and engine work quote

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
Have been ringing around asking reputable performance shops what they can offer me to bring my ute into the high 12 second bracket, while keeping it N/A. Formula Tech offered a crane 286 cam, double row timing chain, antipump uplift, valve springs, retainers collets etc. And said I would need a 3000rpm stallie and 3.7's to achieve those results. Sounds good to me, but I also want to put a supercharger on shortly afterwards, and they said this cam was boost friendly. Does this sound like a good combination? I have heard that the 286 is not boost friendly, and that the compression needs to be raised for best results, but the guy from formulatech said nothing about raising compression....

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
to get the best gains from the 286 u will need to raise the compression, then ull run into hastles when adding forced induction to your motor later down the track. its possible, but there are probably more suited cams out there for forced induction.

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
What would you recommend for forced induction? So you reckon this guy has given me some dodgy information?

eaton v8

my little sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz 6l auto 239cam 3.9diff
how much for all that work

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
Was quoted $3300 for everything, including a tune

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
im assuming thats not including the stally and the diff gears?.

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
Yea, I have diff gears already and I will get the stally from my transmission mechanic. $3300 for all the engine parts and labour

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
$3000 is a fairly decent price, and I reckon $3300 is pretty good aswell. Just don't want to go ahead with it if it's going to cause problems with the PD blower when I put that on later this year.

eaton v8

my little sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz 6l auto 239cam 3.9diff
blower blower do it do it now lol