Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EQFish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Executive V6 Auto
Hello Hello! It's about time I asked for help; My beloved VT is starting to get to me o_O

The Car:
VT-II V6 Auto, 200k on the clock, 2nd owner.

The Symptoms:

Rough Idle - Engine is generally quiet and smooth running, starts first time every time and runs a dream when it wants to. At Idle it shakes irregularly, more when it's warm, but also when cold. Almost like an irregular shake every 2-3 seconds. In the cab it's an uneasy rumble. You can see the engine jerk around in the bay. Also, tachometer drops a bit before the computer catches on and picks up the idle. Strong rich smell from the exhaust. Not big deal, but quite annoying

Occasional stumble, rare stall - Especially in hot weather, and when stuck in traffic, but also sometimes when cold sometimes. The revs usually sound different beforehand, then the engine bounces about before it dies. Pressing the accelerator helps clear it's throat, but when it's real bad you need to stop and start again.

I've been seeing Crank Angle Sensor come up a few times here, I'm thinking it could be this, but wanted to see first.

Belt noise accompanied with engine hesitation!! - Driving in the cold weather, the belt usually squeaks, and the accelerations becomes jerky and hesitant during the squeaky moments. Also found the Tachometer becomes irregular dropping the RPM Guage when the noise happens. I'm thinking belt slipping which is tugging the crank pulley, potentially affecting the CAM sensor, also confusing the computer?

Note the car has new belt and idler pulleys installed not long ago, but they are almost silver now, I guess that's why it's slipping so much. New belt was repco but is already glazed on the flat side. Any suggestions?

What I've fixed:
All vacuum leaks have been fixed (there were a few!). Hoses have all been replaced and hose clamps used.
Fuel Pressure regulator and EFI return hose replaced (New)
Throttle Position Sensor (New)
Coolant Sensor (New)
Coils, Plugs and Leads (New)
All fluids have been done too.
Recent gasket job done professionally. (some oil got into the coolant)

Cleaned out the MAF and Throttle body with cleaner, new throttle body gasket.
Cleaned out the IAC

I am hoping someone can put some thought into this.

Cheers in Advance:)!

EQFish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Executive V6 Auto