Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cam gear timing RB30 Turbo

mikkcee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo
Gidday guys , just signed up .looking for help with cam gear timing on Rb30 turbo. I bought a wrecked VL Turbo and transplanted the whole drivetrain into my Berlina,all has gone well. Last week fitted new TO4E ,and blew the head gasket with aboost spike,changed the head gasket ,set cam gear to standard marks and started it up ,runs well. took it out for atest and it seems to have lost or moved its boost rpm up about 600 ,it used to boost 3000 now its easy 3600 . Apparentely the motor did produce good horsepower before the car was wrecked 220rwkw so it may run a cam,if thats the case .atooth forward might be the go ,anyway can anyone give me any advice . cheers mick

Kev C

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Manual Wagon
Hi Mikkcee

I can't help you with your timing, but you may be able to help me with my problem.

I am after the complete EFI & ECU from your old VL motor. If you still have it message me and we may be able to come to some arrangement.

Kev C

mikkcee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo
Advance and Retard cam timing

Gidday guys , just signed up .looking for help with cam gear timing on Rb30 turbo. I bought a wrecked VL Turbo and transplanted the whole drivetrain into my Berlina,all has gone well. Last week fitted new TO4E ,and blew the head gasket with aboost spike,changed the head gasket ,set cam gear to standard marks and started it up ,runs well. took it out for atest and it seems to have lost or moved its boost rpm up about 600 ,it used to boost 3000 now its easy 3600 . Apparentely the motor did produce good horsepower before the car was wrecked 220rwkw so it may run a cam,if thats the case .atooth forward might be the go ,anyway can anyone give me any advice . cheers mick
In repley to my own question this is what i have found on other forums . Cam timing plays a very important part of when your motor develops boost,advancing by 6 degrees or one tooth 54 teeth not 53 dropped my boost rpm back to 3000 where it must have been originaly set.Retarding sends boost time further up the rpm range,this apperantley is used to get high rpm without busting stuff for better launches . this above procedure has been done and it works .cheers mick

mikkcee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo
Kevs VL Stuff

Hi Mikkcee

I can't help you with your timing, but you may be able to help me with my problem.

I am after the complete EFI & ECU from your old VL motor. If you still have it message me and we may be able to come to some arrangement.

Kev C
Gidday Kev ,cant help with ECU but we have 3 NA motors what exactly do you need ,by the way we are north of cairns FNQ freight might be a issue
Mick