Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cam,heads,UD pulley...Happening tomorrow.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

Tailgunner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2 SSV Redline wagon
UD was a suggestion from the shop. Easy done when doing cam swap, get a little kw gain and "easier revving". My research suggests not worth doing on its own but I thought, why not? I don't like having any money lying around lol
My ride is more a weekender with occasional daily duties.

Tailgunner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2 SSV Redline wagon
And I want to get as close to 500hp at the tyres as possible N/A...
Every little bit helps!

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I thought, why not?

The reason they're a thing on circuit cars is because there aren't any traffic lights or stopping on the track and on the track you're always revving super high because you're trying to go fast. The underdrive pulley slows down the serpentine belt to get a tiny bit more power using leverage, but also to stop components attached to that belt wearing too fast from constant high RPMs. On a road car at normal RPMs however that means that when you're in regular traffic (even on the highway) or car parks that your water pump is moving slower than factory (possibility to run hotter, particularly as you're upping power), your alternator is moving slower than factory (possibility to undercharge), your power steering pump is moving slower than factory (possibility of heavy steering at low speeds where you really need it). Dunno how it might effect air con.

How much an underdrive pulley will effect this in real world terms IDK, but it's something you should be aware of if you notice weird things start happening. IMO it would make more sense to stick with the stock one.

Tailgunner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2 SSV Redline wagon
Yeah I've read about those issues but doesn't seem to be common? Most seem to give them a moderate recommendation.
I'll be keeping the stock pulley in case it causes problems.

Tailgunner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2 SSV Redline wagon
Alright, it's in boys.
Pick up next Friday.
I told them JC was watching the results haha
UD pulley stays, extra 2kw. Excellent.
:Smoking:

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
What cam are you going with? I'd say around the 430rwhp wiyth a mild cam and heads. The stock heads flow pretty well from factory, and unless you go for a large cam and bump up the compression I'd be surprised if you get any more.

Tailgunner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2 SSV Redline wagon
Hey Heron - the cam I chose is called Torque Master.
227/239 , 114+ advance, 2°
0.613", 0.623”
I'm most likely not going to hit 350 atw, but I did stress to the shop I wanted it strapped down as loose as possible lol

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
I'd say around the 450 mark then with that cam and heads plus yours being a manual. Should have some poke. Diff gears and a tru-trac would be a big improvement as well