Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cam help

Hesko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
hay,

Going in for a cam package done to my car soon and still trying to choose between 2 different cams. 1 is the comp cam 228/230 which i've heard, other is a C.O.M.E cam 874 which i haven't heard. I believe the come cam is a lot lumpier 232/242 so will kick in at higher revs just wondering if its a good brand. I dont no much about cams but i can;t find any threads on the COME cams or website at all. And if anyone could tell me what the real difference will be in driving etc between the 2 and if both can be used with forced induction. I'm after a load lumpy sound but not at the cost of performance. Also they will be going in a VY. The C.O.M.E cams that i have read have a really nice sounding note and the come 874 cam is really easy to achieve over 290 rwkw with springs etc. The 228/230 has a lot more valve lift at .571 in and 573 ex compared to the "come" cam with .550in .559 ex. So guessing that the "Come" has longer duration but less valve lift. But yeah i'm not to sure how all that works and if duration is better than valve lift and which 1 increasing which area of power or do they just equal each other out.

thanks

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
Go with the comp cam, been tried and tested in thousands of ls1's. LSA is what you need to see if a cam will work with FI wider is the go but having said that cams for forced induction dont need to be big at all, sometimes stock is ok.

SICK SS

7L 427ci BABY
Reaction score
Members Ride
427 ci vu ss a4 ve ssv a6
Go with the comp cam, been tried and tested in thousands of ls1's. LSA is what you need to see if a cam will work with FI wider is the go but having said that cams for forced induction dont need to be big at all, sometimes stock is ok.
yeah mate go the comp cam it has more lift.

Hesko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
Yeah many people ave recommended the comp cams over any others, just yeah i heard the 228/230 in a manaro and didn't really sound to lumpy, but if will give me good performance than i don't mind. Just yeah can;t find any threads on the C.O.M.E cams or anyone who are using them. But if more lift is better than yeah the comp cams have a lot in that aspect. I might talk to the mechanic going to and see if could go to a 232/234 in the comp cams.

SICK SS

7L 427ci BABY
Reaction score
Members Ride
427 ci vu ss a4 ve ssv a6
if you want a more lumpy cam go for a lower lsa like 110 or 112

Hesko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
Yeah all that ave been mentioned are 112

H1GHROLLR

CHEMICALLY SUPERCHARGED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX CLUBSPORT R8 LS1
the come racing 232/242 is a rubbish cam with .551 lift and you will more likely make 360rwhp my mate has one in his car it sounds great but dont go too good

Hesko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
does it not go to good as in power or drive ability not really fused as to what its like driving don't mind haven it shaking and rough. And how much rwhp was he making.

GMMAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L GT35 4runner/VK calais
ether of them cams would be good with FI
some thing like a 224/230 114 works well with FI
but stick with comp cams
112LSA isnt FI friendly
to much overlap will just dump the fuel straight out the exhaust

SIG-054

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y-Series Senator Signature
hay,

Going in for a cam package done to my car soon and still trying to choose between 2 different cams. 1 is the comp cam 228/230 which i've heard, other is a C.O.M.E cam 874 which i haven't heard. I believe the come cam is a lot lumpier 232/242 so will kick in at higher revs just wondering if its a good brand. I dont no much about cams but i can;t find any threads on the COME cams or website at all. And if anyone could tell me what the real difference will be in driving etc between the 2 and if both can be used with forced induction. I'm after a load lumpy sound but not at the cost of performance. Also they will be going in a VY. The C.O.M.E cams that i have read have a really nice sounding note and the come 874 cam is really easy to achieve over 290 rwkw with springs etc. The 228/230 has a lot more valve lift at .571 in and 573 ex compared to the "come" cam with .550in .559 ex. So guessing that the "Come" has longer duration but less valve lift. But yeah i'm not to sure how all that works and if duration is better than valve lift and which 1 increasing which area of power or do they just equal each other out.

thanks

To be honest there are a lot of better cams out there than the ones you have chosen.

I have the 228/230 cam as you've mentioned above.

Comp cams have been proven to be really good in the LS1's so have a flick through their catelogue and get something with .600 lift or thereabouts.