Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Cam installation

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
Yea if you do it I would also be interested in seeing a before and after:)

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
bump. i have the cam installed. not dialled in though. ive been reading that when i put the head bolts back in, i should be using some kind of sealant on these. most people say to use the holden sealant stuff, or some permatex one. any opinions on these? also, is there a certain strength threadlocker i should be using on all the other bolts?

DeViLisanAnGeL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ 5L - 12.6@108 stock bottom end & comp
I used permatex blue silastic :p While not the best, didn't have any problems while it was still running. Will prob go with the Holden stuff on the next build just to be safe!

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
yeah holden stuff is pricey but its the best and the only thing to use i got some here if you want stocky also got a cam wheel if you need to borrow one no dial indicator though

i h8 2 w8

TruNk SOunDs like THunDer
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Executive 5.0 L
First cam install

hay, this seems to be the place for me. i need some info on my next install aye. i got a solid 288 cam and a set of lifters for my 304 5L motor. I need to know what else i will need to install it, talking parts and such. An what else i can do to put the cam to the best use... this info would be a big help... thankz

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
in a vt roller block good luck your going to need some maschining done to get your solids to fit

i h8 2 w8

TruNk SOunDs like THunDer
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Executive 5.0 L
But apart from that the other componaints wouldnt need changing would they, and what exactly would i need macheining... thanks

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
you need the lifter bores machined out larger to suit the solid lifter setup. From what i heard its quite expensive $1000+ and will require the motor to be disassembled. Tell you what your better off selling the cam and lifter and buy a roller cam of similar duration itll be less of a head**** and much cheaper