Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cam knowledge

Theprojectcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV 6.0
I booked my car in for a OTR and tune. Was going to cam it in the future and thought I might as well do it at once to avoid paying for a second tune. I’m unfamiliar with cams and wanted to keep the active fuel management, I was wondering do they need to delete it?
Thanks, sorry if it’s a silly question.

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
There are only a few afm specific cams you could use,i think comp do a few,crow does 1,they have minimum lift/duration so they are ok to use with the afm lifters and still be reliable and therefore minimum hp gain for the price you pay, kind of makes it not worth it,theres a perfectly good reason why the selection is so small,nobody does it/or rarely.
I looked into it when i did a small cam,small cams are a waste of money unless you purely want a cammy idle,then go ahead and fork over the cash:)
If you are worried enough about fuel economy to keep afm i wouldnt get a cam,economy will get worse for sure.
Just my opinion,im sure someone will disagree with what ive said even though its accurate.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Word of advice, take your time and do your research instead of trying to make a quick decision based on saving the cost of a tune, decide why you want a cam and what you want from the car. There's no best cam - there are pros and cons to each cam, make the wrong decision and you might end up with results you don't like.

AFM retune will also depend on what your tuner is willing to do.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If you want performance with fuel economy and you have some coin an LT1 swap done right would be where its at.
But I agree with the other two here you're trying to gain performance which is at odds with the AFM design.

Nico36

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
Youd be a clown to keep the afm if your going to cam it, may as well not even bother.

Theprojectcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV 6.0
There are only a few afm specific cams you could use,i think comp do a few,crow does 1,they have minimum lift/duration so they are ok to use with the afm lifters and still be reliable and therefore minimum hp gain for the price you pay, kind of makes it not worth it,theres a perfectly good reason why the selection is so small,nobody does it/or rarely.
I looked into it when i did a small cam,small cams are a waste of money unless you purely want a cammy idle,then go ahead and fork over the cash:)
If you are worried enough about fuel economy to keep afm i wouldnt get a cam,economy will get worse for sure.
Just my opinion,im sure someone will disagree with what ive said even though its accurate.
Hey, thanks for your reply. I only wanted one for the sound.
Hey, thanks for your reply. I will look into them tonight. I only wanted one for the sound really. I’m content with how the car performs as it is. How much are the small cam roughly?

Theprojectcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV 6.0
Youd be a clown to keep the afm if your going to cam it, may as well not even bother.
Word of advice, take your time and do your research instead of trying to make a quick decision based on saving the cost of a tune, decide why you want a cam and what you want from the car. There's no best cam - there are pros and cons to each cam, make the wrong decision and you might end up with results you don't like.

AFM retune will also depend on what your tuner is willing to do.
Hey, thanks for your reply. Really just want it for the sound. I’m hoping after the tune the car will sound better.

Theprojectcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV 6.0
Hey, thanks for your reply. Now that I understand a little more about them I will give it a miss.