Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cam knowledge

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
I have a 3 inch full hurricane system with 1 7/8 headers and the sound after the cam is completely different. At idle the difference is what you would expect with the lumpy sound but it shakes the house, and through the rev range it is a more aggressive note to before I had the cam.

Angry8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF HSV Maloo UTE Walkinshaw 557
I had a VE SS ute with a big cam 3 " zaust, it sounded amazing (actually too loud) but was a pig to drive , wrecked two clutches due to having to ride it so much to get it going ended up getting defected when I was pulled over one night as the cop said it smelt of fuel , also for noise ride hight the lot After fixing most of the defects costing 4k
I missed an oil change end result due to the valve overlap of the big cam and tune fuel got into the oil .
Ended up destroying the cam bearings so thats engine out and rebuild .
Traded it in at a big loss on a VF Maloo with a W557 pack which is cammed but much less aggressive amazing car and so easy to drive .

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Hey, thanks for your reply. I only wanted one for the sound.

Hey, thanks for your reply. I will look into them tonight. I only wanted one for the sound really. I’m content with how the car performs as it is. How much are the small cam roughly?
If you only really want it for the sound theres no reason you cant do an afm cam,you will gain hp but just not as much as with an afm delete and larger(more lift and duration) cam.
Aftermarket afm cams dont require the heads to be removed because the afm lifters are retained will cost roughly around 3 grand installed and tuned depending on the tuner,afm delete and all the bits that go along with it,timing sets,pushrods,lifters,valve springs,head gaskets etc cost around 5 grand roughly fitted and tuned depending on the tuner.
From memory my afm cam made around 40hp at the tyres(it was actually a small ls1 cam from crow)mine still used the afm lifters but had afm turned off.
It sounded great at idle with the small crow cam but i liked the stock cam better,so i got the stock cam put back in.
If thats what you want to do then whos stopping you?
Just because i went there and didnt like it,doesnt mean you cant or shouldnt do it.
Sometimes its good to try things for yourself and just find out:)
Thats just my personal experience.

Theprojectcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV 6.0
I had a VE SS ute with a big cam 3 " zaust, it sounded amazing (actually too loud) but was a pig to drive , wrecked two clutches due to having to ride it so much to get it going ended up getting defected when I was pulled over one night as the cop said it smelt of fuel , also for noise ride hight the lot After fixing most of the defects costing 4k
I missed an oil change end result due to the valve overlap of the big cam and tune fuel got into the oil .
Ended up destroying the cam bearings so thats engine out and rebuild .
Traded it in at a big loss on a VF Maloo with a W557 pack which is cammed but much less aggressive amazing car and so easy to drive .
Hey, thanks for your reply. That is a actual nightmare. Glad your happy with your new ute. After reading all the comments, I much rather save 5k for the next house. I’m sure I’ll be content after the OTR & tune.

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Diff gears really woke up my auto wagon after a tune and exhaust,just sayin:D

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Diff gears really woke up my auto wagon after a tune and exhaust,just sayin:D
I've been thinking of doing diff gears in my Redline. Did you go from 2.92 to 3.27?

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
casual LT swap o_O xD

nothing wrong with the AFM

lookup the black pearl vvt ;)

Angry8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF HSV Maloo UTE Walkinshaw 557
"bang face into desk" six months before I got anal from the cops and defected and my engine decided to implode , my diff destroyed itself
3:9 ratio that always had a bit of a whine , the bloke who sold me the VE said oh no its fine.
When we opened it up it looked like your loose change bowl .
I wasted close to 5k on a true track diff new gears bearings FU#K that smarts .

Last edited: