Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cam package

LXRYLS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy s2 ls1 calais
Hey guys I have a Ls1 vy calais with a few small mods nothing internal an thinking of doing a cam package but just don't know what I'm really in for I don't use the car as a daily so I am looking for something quite lumpy was just wondering what is a good cam kit to go for and roughly how much to buy and get tuned cheers

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
If your paying a shop to do it and factor in OTR, trans cooler, stall converter and a tune you won't get much change out of 6 to 7k

LXRYLS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy s2 ls1 calais
If your paying a shop to do it and factor in OTR, trans cooler, stall converter and a tune you won't get much change out of 6 to 7k
I have otr and stall already and was gonna try tackle it with a mate who's pretty handy with cars

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Don’t just go for the biggest possible cam just to get an idle sound mate it will make it **** to drive and heavy on fuel.... something like the vcm 480 has a good chop while making decent power, the. Idle can be manipulated in the tune to sound rough even the stock cam can be made to sound choppy via tuning (ghost cam)

Ls80

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz SS 6ltr crewman
You have probably made your choice by now but for what its worth I went with the largest stage 2 cam Crow offers. Daily driver and I love it, so does my 5yo. Another thing to consider is diff ratios. Mine is in a 6ltr crewman so I need to change.

True idle can be done by tuner. Tune probably $900-$1k.

Cost can be as much as you want it to be. Like Pringle's yeah.

I went with crow only cause I have been using their gear in my boat for years without issue. That said haven't heard anything bad about VCM.

If you haven't bought yet the bloke at mace did me a mad deal on everything that I got from him so worth a call.

Enjoy mate.

LXRYLS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy s2 ls1 calais
You have probably made your choice by now but for what its worth I went with the largest stage 2 cam Crow offers. Daily driver and I love it, so does my 5yo. Another thing to consider is diff ratios. Mine is in a 6ltr crewman so I need to change.

True idle can be done by tuner. Tune probably $900-$1k.

Cost can be as much as you want it to be. Like Pringle's yeah.

I went with crow only cause I have been using their gear in my boat for years without issue. That said haven't heard anything bad about VCM.

If you haven't bought yet the bloke at mace did me a mad deal on everything that I got from him so worth a call.

Enjoy mate.
Cheers mate I have decided to hold of on the cam for a while have purchased front and rear bags and changing interior stuff first I

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
We have just been through this exercise and did the work oursleves - although it was a manual. VCM 262 cam as it is a work ute and double row timing chain, lifters, head boths, springs etc and there won't be much change out of $4K.

Ls80

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz SS 6ltr crewman
Cheers mate I have decided to hold of on the cam for a while have purchased front and rear bags and changing interior stuff first I
Its a big job mate cause unless it's going in a new motor if your like me you figure while the motors out might do this then that.

Mine started in may with I want a manual. From that decided do cam and DOD deletion, then while motor was dismantled get 10 thou shaved off and go forced internals. In the end I figured I now have a brand new motor, NOS?? Another great decision that my missus can't understand but my kid loves.

Not enough lumpy 8s on the streets these days. Everyone loves it!

Attachments

• IMG_7815.jpg
    IMG_7815.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 182

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
^^ That is why I can't do 'just a cam' because I'll just go nuts & want to turn every car into 11sec streetcar even though rarely raced at wsid