Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cam recommendation

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Really 2200 stock? mine only loads up to 1600 after that it just starts sliding. A cooler will be happening soon after the cam probably a month after I’ve pretty maxed out my budget atm.
If you let revs dip below 1000rpm to unlock convertor and stab it, the stock convertor flashes to 2000+rpm. I flashed an Oztrack tune that I had asked to remove lockup on 1-5. Certainly was a different experience driving, but I don't have a trans cooler and the stock convertor was too loose anyway. Lasted 2 days before I put back their previous file.

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
So car will be going in for a cam job on the 10th of Dec. I’ll be using castle hill performance. I will be sticking with stock stall and supercharger friendly cam whilst still wanting as lumpy of an idle I can get. They’ve recommended 224 236 115 .612” .620”. I’m not really familiar with how cams work but would this cam have a lumpy idle or sound like a stock cam? Reading a few things online and comparing it to VCM5SC and H02 it doesn’t look like it.

I have a VCM5c along with a Magnuson. It would be about as big as you'd want to go without needing a stall converter and/or the car being a pig to drive. I actually got the tuner to dial out the chop at idle in drive. It chops pretty noticeably in park.

If I had my time again I'd have probably gone stock cam, as I probably wouldn't have missed the power I'd be losing, and the thing would've had much better manners.

Last edited:

Neenor

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SS
I have a VCM5c along with a Magnuson. It would be about as big as you'd want to go without needing a stall converter and/or the car being a pig to drive. I actually got the tuner to dial out the chop at idle in drive. It chops pretty noticeably in park.

If I had my time again I'd have probably gone stock cam, as I probably wouldn't have missed the power I'd be losing, and the thing would've had much better manners.
Why not put in a convertor they arent expensive