Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cam recommendation

H

harrop.senator

I'm to old and slow for focusing on ET, MPH on the other hand takes alot less skill, and is a way better judge of "actual" power

As for a blower, with my little 223 228 114, 2800 stall and a HTV2300 on the old Gen 3, my car has brilliant street manners and is actually more fuel efficient than when it was stock, well around town it's averaging about 350km per tank, hwy is over 600km a tank, it does drink like a fish when your up it though, but that's to be expected, it also has a nice loapy idle

A thing to remember is what you use the car for, if it's a daily or you use it alot, a big lumpy stick can turn it into a pig and you will end up hating on it, for multiple reasons, especially if you get stuck in traffic or your better half drives it sometimes, this is where a blower rules the world, they make smooth effortless power from idle

If, on the other hand it's a club car, drag car or Sunday car then all bets are off, CNC the heads, a monster cam and big stall that shakes rattles and rolls, and makes power up top, IMO nothing in the world sounds as good as a big NA V8 revving it's guts out

I only say this as I've built cars that I daily to the point of hating them as a daily, my current old girl is a VX SS that I got for a cool old daily, and whilst it goes like a raped ape on request, it is a pleasure to drive around town, even when stuck in the M5 tunnel doing 10kph

Have fun with the build, and if you can justify it, trust in the workshop, these are old cars and have been done to death, a good workshop and tuner should be able to give you exactly what you want

MOST IMPORTANTLY: DON'T LISTEN TO ME, I'M AN OVEROPINIONATED ARSEHOLE

Honestly if money wasn't an issue I'd be going forced induction stock cam or very mild , factory gears no stall.

But if someone wants a big shaking V8 and a hi stall , there's compromises to be made.

Ive just made cars slower myself in the past from not being able to put the power down on the street even with radials lol.

HDJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
The cam is still quite friendly around town and the hi stall is not too big only 2600rpm supplied by Russo performance. It's a standard body stall modified up to 2600 RPM. They claim no trans cooler is required even.

H

harrop.senator

I don't like running stock torque converters without a trans cooler.

2600 is pretty mild but it'll still break traction from a dead stop without radials and some fine tuned suspension. What's the re worked factory converter costing you compared to a new custom one with anti ballooning and carbon lock up?

If you do go a blower and the converter can't handle it you will balloon it. May be worth doing once doing right if a blower is definitely on the cards.

The labour doesn't cost much less than the converter usually.

HDJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
I don't like running stock torque converters without a trans cooler.

2600 is pretty mild but it'll still break traction from a dead stop without radials and some fine tuned suspension. What's the re worked factory converter costing you compared to a new custom one with anti ballooning and carbon lock up?

If you do go a blower and the converter can't handle it you will balloon it. May be worth doing once doing right if a blower is definitely on the cards.

The labour doesn't cost much less than the converter usually.

I should’ve been more clear it’s a brand new converter they install into the car. However it mimics everything factory stall has such as lockup. it has been used in a lot of cars they work on. Haven’t heard a negative review on there converters Yet. It’s 1350 without A tune. Russo Performance is a very well known shop around her so I’m not doubting them at all.

H

harrop.senator

I should’ve been more clear it’s a brand new converter they install into the car. However it mimics everything factory stall has such as lockup. it has been used in a lot of cars they work on. Haven’t heard a negative review on there converters Yet. It’s 1350 without A tune

Almost any new converter all retains electronic lock up even my 4200 did. 2600 isn't much of an upgrade I think the stock vf is 2-2200. It'll help with it not pushing through brakes with a raised idle. It's not really a performance upgrade though , that crow you're looking at has a huge power band but so it'll be making some go when it flashes.

Reactions: HDJ

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Trans cooler is cheap insurance

How much is a new transmission worth?

I would definitely put a shift kit in as well, again cheap insurance

I think I paid around $1300 for my billet converter from "the converter shop" in QLD, it got Craigs Transmissions tick of approval when they built my 4l60e

HDJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
Almost any new converter all retains electronic lock up even my 4200 did. 2600 isn't much of an upgrade I think the stock vf is 2-2200. It'll help with it not pushing through brakes with a raised idle. It's not really a performance upgrade though , that crow you're looking at has a huge power band but so it'll be making some go when it flashes.
Really 2200 stock? mine only loads up to 1600 after that it just starts sliding. A cooler will be happening soon after the cam probably a month after I’ve pretty maxed out my budget atm.

HDJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
Trans will be getting built after Anyways using Circle D stage 4 supports 1000rwhwp on a 6l80

H

harrop.senator

Really 2200 stock? mine only loads up to 1600 after that it just starts sliding. A cooler will be happening soon after the cam probably a month after I’ve pretty maxed out my budget atm.

It's probably a tight converter and that's the foot brake limit with a higher flash point. I may be wrong but when I drove one and loaded it up in locked gear I think that's where it flashed to. I purposely tried it cause I wondered if they had a 25-2600 like the V6 I have haha.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Trans will be getting built after Anyways using Circle D stage 4 supports 1000rwhwp on a 6l80
Who is building the transmission?