Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cam sensor..plug?

nalchlan

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS executive series II 'S pack'
hey guys im not sure where this little magnetic plug fits. it was originaly on the cam timing chain cog. and i did not mark which hole it came out of. where does it fit... its not in my POS manual either. the plug is in the pictures below
cheers
edit; i just placed it in my new double roller for the photo..thats not how it was originaly

Attachments

• Image0051.jpg
    Image0051.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 595
  • Image0052.jpg
    Image0052.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,651

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Yep that's the pickup magnet for the cam angle sensor. It installs from the rear face of the cam gear, so since you've already installed it, you'll have to get it in through the balance shaft hole. From memory doing it this way you'll just have to loosen the gear so you can slide it off the cam shoulder a little, but not have to remove it fully. There is enough sideways slop in the double row chain to allow this without having to partially remove the crank gear also. The magnet will only fit in one hole which will also be the small hole in the cam gear. This hole will also have a shallow counterbore i.e. it should have a shallow step in the hole.
Its hard to tell from your pic, but have you broken the tabs off the magnet??? It should have two metal tabs which retain it in the hole.
Here's a few pics. One being the standard gear and the other a rollmaster.
Hope that helps.

Attachments

• 09052011230.jpg
    09052011230.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 765
  • DSCF0203.jpg
    DSCF0203.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 995

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
When the timing marks are lined up on the two sprockets,the cam sensor should sit at about the 8 o'clock position,just like the first photo in the above post shows....And on my VSV6,the camshaft sprocket hole that accepts the magnet is offset slightly when compared to the other holes around the sprocket.

nalchlan

Reaction score
Members Ride
thank you guys all sorted :)
and yeah ive already had to slide the cam back and move the gear because i forgot to put in my balance shaft... my motor was upside down so dont blame me haha
and the tabs are still there its just a **** camera

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Why are you putting the balance shaft back in? Since you have to disable it for the double roller thats 2kgs of extra unnecessary dead weight you're adding lol. To remove it all you'll need to do is to block the rear balance shaft oil feed. I threaded mine (tapered) and fitted a socket head grub screw. Alternatively you could also refit the whitemetal bearing with the oil hole purposely mis-aligned to block it or even fit a welch plug etc. Otherwise yes it is perfectly fine to leave it in there doing nothing, but if you've come this far i don't really see the point in not removing it all together :)

Attachments

• DSCF0239.jpg
    DSCF0239.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 451

nalchlan

Reaction score
Members Ride
damn...i wish i had thought of that. i completely failed to think about tapping the oil hole being on the other side..i only thought about somehow getting a tap through the bearing side, and i cant imagine that happening.