Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cam suited for auto

Mvb

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv 10
Hi all. Totally new to these forums. Looking for info...
Im about to get my afm dod, removed. Car is ssv 10 l77, automatic.
Since its starting to get the rattle at start up etc.. Looking to get dod remove kit done otr and cam.
Has anyone got a automatic running a vcm883" cam . What would it drive like and will it chew up fuel or not.
Just like to get this car going ok.

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
That is a decent sized cam, will sound good and make good power but will use quite a bit more fuel and need a decent stall too, at least 3000 I would think.

Mvb

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv 10
That is a decent sized cam, will sound good and make good power but will use quite a bit more fuel and need a decent stall too, at least 3000 I would think.

Cheers for the info. The shop reckons it does not need hi stall for that cam . But lookin at the number re can looks like fuel economy drops right off..
What cam are others running auto. Or all neading hi stall fitting .

5 shops so far and all say a different thing or just flip up a number $$$ so far price difference between places is 2500.$ aprox i just want a onest job done and a car that drives good and has a good note . I do like to open it up but nothing to stupid to old for stickers. Etc

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yea with 7 deg overlap @.050 and a late IVC of 47 deg ABDC it will be better mid to up top, for an auto i hope there is a good tuner tuning it then it will be fine and cruising at 100kph u shouldnt see any worse fuel economy but around town u will notice it, if tuner isnt good then it will be a pig to drive

Mvb

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv 10
Anyone recommend a different cam . I don't drive in peek hour etc. As im home based, so car use is as i nead but yes I don't want to be stuck with a pic to drive...
When i got this ssv idea was just go headers exhaust and good tune, already has a otr . And afm deactivated . But latly is getting funny rattling at start up and just don't feel right. So now the budget is get motor going ok relyable and good note and some power. And then as coin comes in get headers exhaust done. Current exhaust is standard manifold centre muffler removered think now is 2.25 centre and 2.5 over diff to rear.... Time will tell what happens just nead to make some money first

yea with 7 deg overlap @.050 and a late IVC of 47 deg ABDC it will be better mid to up top, for an auto i hope there is a good tuner tuning it then it will be fine and cruising at 100kph u shouldnt see any worse fuel economy but around town u will notice it, if tuner isnt good then it will be a pig to drive

Slick_Vp_23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SSV M6
Hey there, since you’re looking at VCM on shelf grinds, I’d recommend the VCM480. Should have a nice ‘cammed’ idle while retaining reasonable fuel economy. It’ll make good power and still have some manners if tuned well. Going larger may require a stally and will put more stress and wear on components, expectedly. There are a lot of manufacturers out there and even more cam grind options so take your time, research and enjoy it. Cheers.

Mvb

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv 10
Think ill leave it and just go get full exhaust... To much bullshit listening to the different things from different shops. One says cam one says dont cam one says do this do that. But not one shop would listen to the motor to see if it was normal sounds or not... To old for young guys that talk ****.......who only wants to get me to spend as much $$$$$ as i can in there shop and come home with a thersty pig of a car.......

Slick_Vp_23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SSV M6
Think ill leave it and just go get full exhaust... To much bullshit listening to the different things from different shops. One says cam one says dont cam one says do this do that. But not one shop would listen to the motor to see if it was normal sounds or not... To old for young guys that talk ****.......who only wants to get me to spend as much $$$$$ as i can in there shop and come home with a thersty pig of a car.......
Before going in talking about cams, get them to diagnose your problem first. If the diagnosis is what you’re mostly wanting. There are a lot of cam brands and options, plenty that won’t make your car a “pig” if tuned right. There are also cams that retain AFM/DOD. Do your research if your hearts set on a cam.

If you’d still prefer to leave the engine alone for the sake of costs, can’t go wrong with extractors and OTR intake (MAFless or not). Cheers

Mvb

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv 10
Yes i think most just want the $$$" hard finding onest machanics these days........ Im ex pannel industry so know the rundown......
Car has otr and deactivated afm with a ok tune but still has standard manifold. Go next couple days get a price on headers or extractors and clean up the 2.5 pipes. For some reason previous owner did half of centre section. And book it in next January or Feb and just get new non afm lifters and be done with it......

One big shop here tryed selling me a cam package that would never work... And he was going to fit it with the standard manifolds and everything....... So unless i know the person im not bothering with getting cam done ..... To meany bullshit shops just loading up there pockets for there own hotted up jelopys..... For the price some shops are saying i may as well go by a new engine for extra cuple on top. Or buy a damaged gts hsv or such that someone else has already done up a bit......
Or just drive it like i stole it till it lets go ... Then waste coin on something else........
Ill look into the cams u say for afm etc.... So far no shop has sead this..... Cheers guys....

Before going in talking about cams, get them to diagnose your problem first. If the diagnosis is what you’re mostly wanting. There are a lot of cam brands and options, plenty that won’t make your car a “pig” if tuned right. There are also cams that retain AFM/DOD. Do your research if your hearts set on a cam.

If you’d still prefer to leave the engine alone for the sake of costs, can’t go wrong with extractors and OTR intake (MAFless or not). Cheers

Slick_Vp_23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SSV M6
Yes i think most just want the $$$" hard finding onest machanics these days........ Im ex pannel industry so know the rundown......
Car has otr and deactivated afm with a ok tune but still has standard manifold. Go next couple days get a price on headers or extractors and clean up the 2.5 pipes. For some reason previous owner did half of centre section. And book it in next January or Feb and just get new non afm lifters and be done with it......

One big shop here tryed selling me a cam package that would never work... And he was going to fit it with the standard manifolds and everything....... So unless i know the person im not bothering with getting cam done ..... To meany bullshit shops just loading up there pockets for there own hotted up jelopys..... For the price some shops are saying i may as well go by a new engine for extra cuple on top. Or buy a damaged gts hsv or such that someone else has already done up a bit......
Or just drive it like i stole it till it lets go ... Then waste coin on something else........
Ill look into the cams u say for afm etc.... So far no shop has sead this..... Cheers guys....
I agree mate, far too many people only interested in the money rather than the customer. A new set of extractors will liven it up and make it a bit more fun, good place to start. There’s a few different types of extractor too, as I’m sure you know. 4 into 1 at 1 7/8” Pacemakers are what I’ve seen recommended most but anything’s better than stock. Cheers mate.