Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cam VS supercharger

Ron91

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Wagon
Hey guys, just deciding what's next on my list for my ssv wagon.

Currently has a full exhaust system and vcm otr. Brembos are next on the list for sure, but then either a cam or charger after that.

Any opinions?
It's a daily car for me and my mrs drives it occasionally.

What's better for drivability?
What's better on fuel?
What power would both roughly put out? Currently have 246rwkw.

I was told by the exhaust bloke who's my dads mate that a charger would pay itself off (over a cam) within 3 years with the fuel saved compared to a cam.

Shoot some opinions off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brasher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
why buy a 6L v8 and worry about fuel economy is my first question.

They are both different to drive, PD blower has that low end stomp, but if you love to mercilessly thrash a car cam goes well too.

big difference in price, say with a PD blower at 7psi you will make approx 360rwkw, with a decently streetable cam might make 320rwkw, is that 40rwkw worth near $7-10k to you?

Ron91

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Wagon
why buy a 6L v8 and worry about fuel economy is my first question.

They are both different to drive, PD blower has that low end stomp, but if you love to mercilessly thrash a car cam goes well too.

big difference in price, say with a PD blower at 7psi you will make approx 360rwkw, with a decently streetable cam might make 320rwkw, is that 40rwkw worth near $7-10k to you?

It's not that big a deal fuel. But it's always a factor.
I was quoted about 11k for a harrop charger and 3500 for a cam. But as I said, I've been told in 3 years a charger will pay itself off over a cam. So cost of them may be more up front but less in the long run?

It more comes down to drivability more than anything.

Last edited:

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
If you could afford a blower i would do it. you will regret it if u dont. Just make sure your fuel system is upto it.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
For $11+3k you could go a big turbo (GT42) and intercooler, with some valve train improvements and possibly have change. Way better bang for buck.

Ron91

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Wagon
For $11+3k you could go a big turbo (GT42) and intercooler, with some valve train improvements and possibly have change. Way better bang for buck.

I honestly haven't looked into turbos at all, and don't know a lot about them. Feel free to share some light on me about them. Pros cons vs charger?
Fuel? Drivability? Power? Etc.

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
Turbo for the win if its auto.
More peak power if your into that crap. But has a massive torque hit that is fun. Much cheaper than pd blower and much better torque delivery than centrifugal blower.
If its manual though I'd take a pd blower for the extra expense, awesome torque delivery.
A turbo setup is better on fuel than a cammed setup.

----500rwhp corn juiced & boosted ls1----

Ron91

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Wagon
Turbo for the win if its auto.
More peak power if your into that crap. But has a massive torque hit that is fun. Much cheaper than pd blower and much better torque delivery than centrifugal blower.
If its manual though I'd take a pd blower for the extra expense, awesome torque delivery.
A turbo setup is better on fuel than a cammed setup.

It is auto, I should have mentioned that sorry.
Only problem is it is a daily, and my mrs drives it too, so I'm thinking a turbo that only kicks higher would trouble that a bit.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But. A charger is low/mid power and a turbo is high end power?

For me I think low/mid is more what I'm after.

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
No. A pd charger gives similiar power output across rev range, but low mid torque is massive. Turbo has massive torque higher in rev range.
If its a daily that ya missus drives I'd go turbo, much more driveable. Pd chsrger everytime she goes to take off it will want to step out if like my missus she is heavy on the go pedal.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
You can Google pros and cons in fine detail mate, but for the biggest (across the board) torque increase a turbo will always beat a charger - blow for blow. Chargers are usually just an easier option, simple bolt-ons, PD or centrifugal.

Example: HOLDEN COMMODORE - VE COMMODORE - SINGLE TURBO KIT GT1000 (T51) VE - ASETurbo You could probably build that kit up cheaper than ASE sell it but aside injectors and a bigger fuel pump, it's all you need, prefabricated. It'd take a day and some brews.

Like any forced induction, if you drive it in the negative it's running N/A, so driveability comes down to your self control (big boosted PD's excluded).

More peak power if your into that crap.

Hahaha, if you're into aircraft and have ever been in something with 22,500lbs thrust, you're into this crap. Make it sing!