Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Camaro trans pan and pick up 6L80E

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Why not adding instead a Transmission Oil Cooler? Increase the capacity, better heat transfer and keep the OEM low profile.
But then you don't get the benefit of the big mouth pickup, and the risk of windage is still there too. Extra capacity in the sump helps to avoid this. Extra ATF in the cooler and tubing doesn't. From what I've read, the cooler typically only adds about 500-750ml.
BTW, the Camaro pan is a stock GM part. The profile is plenty low. It doesn't hang down, I.e it's still well above the exhaust etc.

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
But then you don't get the benefit of the big mouth pickup, and the risk of windage is still there to. Extra capacity in the sump helps to avoid this. Extra ATF in the cooler and doesn't. From what I've read, the cooler typically only adds about 500-750ml.
BTW, the Camaro pan is a stock GM part. The profile is plenty low. It doesn't hang down, I.e it's still well above the exhaust etc.

I see...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
So if I’m understanding this correctly, keeping the oil cooler by adding more volume is having a big effect on shift behaviour, even though it’s an electronically controlled ‘box?

That sounds like somewhat dubious ‘box design!

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
So if I’m understanding this correctly, keeping the oil cooler by adding more volume is having a big effect on shift behaviour, even though it’s an electronically controlled ‘box?

That sounds like somewhat dubious ‘box design!
You're not understanding it correctly. I'd be very surprised if the trans runs any cooler, with the Camaro pan. Marginal at most I'd guess. It may just take a little longer to get up tto temp.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’m definitely not understanding it correctly! What difference does the extra oil make to an electronically-controlled ‘box; or if it’s not about a hugher oil volume than what is the difference?

I thought you normally only played with oil pans/pickups/etc like this if you’ve got a dodgy oil supply (eg. due to racing-related g-forces); but the way you’ve described it, you’re seeing different ‘box behaviour just in driving around.

Hence my total lack of understanding!

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I’m definitely not understanding it correctly! What difference does the extra oil make to an electronically-controlled ‘box; or if it’s not about a hugher oil volume than what is the difference?

I thought you normally only played with oil pans/pickups/etc like this if you’ve got a dodgy oil supply (eg. due to racing-related g-forces); but the way you’ve described it, you’re seeing different ‘box behaviour just in driving around.

Hence my total lack of understanding!
We'll, I guess there are two or three things at play. The larger pick up / filter area and deeper sump mean a constant supply of ATF, even under the forces cornering or acceleration. No windage. Thirdly the replacement synthetic fluid may be having an effect too.
While the trans is com0uter controlled, it's also a mechanical device. One that is dependant on a constant supply of good quality oil.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, but what that means if you’re seeing different behaviour just driving ‘round the burbs (my comment about it being electronically controlled is because oil pressures aren’t causing/managing when shifts occur) is that MY car’s transmission is being starved of oil.
I can’t see how that’s a good thing for transmission longevity!

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
In my case, added a Heavy Duty oil cooler. Added another Litre of fluid plus whatever is on the hoses. Also, added a Thermo bypass valve that allows 10% of the oil to go into the cooler and as soon hit 88C start to open. The reasoning is to use the radiator cooler to warm up the oil and the 10% prevents the cooler to go dry and keep it warm, that will prevent a Thermal Shock and/or air pockets to prevent momentary starvation.

But I see what he is saying and a deeper pan makes sense. On my applycation, I am not going to race the car, moded for towing, no sense for me to do it.

So far, the Temp stay right at about 88c.

Anyway, is good read and info.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well it was great down through the twisty stuff near Kangaroo Valley.
I don't think you have anything to worry about FORG. Your trans will be fine. I think we just have very different driving styles.