Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register
  1. Just Commodores will be taken down on the 19/06/2018 @ 9PM ACST, expected downtime is ~30 minutes.

This addresses a recently found hardware issue.

Dismiss Notice

Cammed 2005 VZ SS, Yellow sticker.

Discussion in 'VZ Holden Commodore (2004 - 2006)' started by blackteeth, Jan 2, 2018.

1. blackteeth

blackteeth Member

Members Ride:
    2005 VZ SS Auto 4 speed 5.7L Gen III LS1
    Hey new here, I bought a 2005 VZ SS Gen III LS1 5.7L, 4 speed auto. ( about 6-7 weeks ago )

I've got a lot of questions about the car but ill start off with the fact I got a yellow sticker a few days after driving outa the car yard. Also being an idiot and fact it was from a car yard I didn't bother to check the oil n fluids. Engine dipper was bone dry when I checked it when I got the car home. Wasn't happy about that obviously.

So the cars had a lot of work done to it, Custom cam shaft been put in etc, high stall aswell which has me wondering how much HP this thing even has. I'll attach the receipts and dyno sheet which I think cant be right? Measured at 356HP but its roughly 335HP stock?? Don't see why you would need a high stall for that? Also got no idea what the cam is or the specs of it.

I was very polite to the cops but he insisted my car was running too rich the bastard, and he stickered me because " hes a mechanic " haha bullshit. Ill attach the defect notice aswell.

I have given the car back to the dealer I bought it off to sort all this mess out for me, He's had my car for weeks now and nothing is happening, He actually dropped my car off to me 2 - 3 weeks ago without the sticker off and told me it was all finished, had it towed to my house...I'm rolling into the drive way the thing is ******* dieing.....engine nearly shuttin off while rollin in....he dropped the car back to me without it being tunned...then a warning came up on the dash saying safe mode, engine shut off and that's it....wouldn't start.

So ye now hes had it for quite some time...I haven't even really had a chance to ******* drive it yet, dno if hes tryna shaft me or what ever.

He thinks it wont pass emissions and he wants to take the cam out and even the exhaust etc......I don't think any of that needs to be done.

I probably haven't been too clear but I would really appreciate it if someone wants to help me out!

Attached Files:

2. lowandslow

lowandslow Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    V2 III Monaro
    High stalls suck a bit of power hence why its a bit of a low number.

Is it just a noise test you need to pass? If it's emissions then i guess it's gonna be tough to clear without some major work / tuning.

As for your rough running, go get it tuned by someone other than a lawn mower mechanic.

3. blackteeth

blackteeth Member

Members Ride:

haha ye the rough running is sorted...bloke dropped it off after unlocking the computer....and not tuning it back..

Nah no noise test. It is an emission test I need to pass, I have thought of tuning on ethanol to pass then going back to petrol tune.

Car guy has told me he has tried to take over pits but I don't believe him, asked him for the report and he wont show me haha....

I also need a permit for the cam, I have no idea how to go about that.

4. blackteeth

blackteeth Member

Members Ride:
    It smells a bit when I'm idling, I have read on some forums, some people say it shouldn't smell so much

some say that's just cam life and nothing I can do about it

5. dgp

dgp Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SSV Redline
    First thing I would do is ring Active Automotive and find out if they think it can pass emissions in its current state with a cam. If not, ask for ythe your money back from the car yard, they sold you an unroadworthy car.

VS_Pete, EYY and monstar like this.
  6. blackteeth

blackteeth Member

Members Ride:
    Ye that's what I've been thinking of doing.

I phoned active every week for weeks and left messages for the tuner to call me back. This was about 4-5 weeks before Christmas. I never heard back from the bloke....I also phoned up nearly every other tuner in perth and they are the bloody same.

7. blackteeth

blackteeth Member

Members Ride:
    When the cam is fitted do they give you a certificate for it?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  8. blackteeth

blackteeth Member

Members Ride:
  9. dgp

dgp Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SSV Redline
    If your car has deviated from the factory emission standards, yes it can be defected.

10. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    I'm fairly sure in your state, a vehicle must be roadworthy at point of sale.....Having it unroadworthy at point of sale, which this appears to be, means you have recourse to request the vehicle be brought upto roadworthy conditions at the car yards expense...I'm unsure whether you can request your money back though...

I'd be contacting your states transport authority over this issue and then talking to the car yard and finding out what course of action they wish to take, before persuing it further through the transport authority

11. harrop.senator

harrop.senator Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vr senator 355, vu 5 speed l67
    If in wa cars are sold as is privately but theirs lemon Law issues with taking cars back to car yards deemed unroadworthy.

If its got a lump to the idle they'll ask for you to go for an emissions test clear n simple.

330 is at flywheel they usually 250-260 atwhp stock. 356 is right I'm pushing 347 slightky detuned with a stock stall and a maf ruining my intake path with quite a large cam. It's hard to go over 320-330 with an auto and no cam on pump fuel or so I've heard.

12. blackteeth

blackteeth Member

Members Ride:
    ye I'm not too sure what to do & ye I am making the car dealer pay for it all.

Basically even if I get the sticker off and a permit for the cam and an emissions cert, they can still sticker me again?

13. harrop.senator

harrop.senator Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vr senator 355, vu 5 speed l67
    Not for the cam n exhaust just normal stuff.

14. blackteeth

blackteeth Member

Members Ride:
    ah well that's alright then, might have to tune on ethanol to get permits and over pits? then tune back to petrol?

15. blackteeth

blackteeth Member

Members Ride:
    have you got much smell on idle Harrop?

car dealer reckons the cam is too big to get passed, but ye if I go ethanol?

16. lowandslow

lowandslow Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    V2 III Monaro
    It's probably got 100 cell cats in it. Ditch them and throw a standard set + standard cat back on it and see. 100 cells flow nice but are smelly.

monstar likes this.
  17. _R_J_K_

_R_J_K_ Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Zenki S14
    Honestly, I'd be asking for money back and buy something else. If he thinks it won't pass emissions and wants to pull crap off it, tell him straight up to give you your money back then, not because I don't think it will pass but it sounds like a massive farking headache to deal with. Thing sounds pretty lemon from what you've said.

Have a read of this - https://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/consumer-protection/warranty-obligations-dealers
    And this - https://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/consumer-protection/motor-vehicle-sales-contracts-and-cooling

Highly doubt it. Regardless of what you tune for it will have to be conservative to pass emissions anyway, not to mention reeeeaaaally basic rule of thumb is that E85 uses 30% more fuel, don't really know how that translates into emissions tho. Somebody else will probably chime in.

No way, it's your responsibility to take care of legalities/engineering and generally aftermarket cams aren't primarily concerned with passing emissions. If they did this then every track car would be street legal. Because you bought it from a dealer, that pretty much renders it unroadworthy on his part.

What is this 'permit' for the cam you speak of?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  18. _R_J_K_

_R_J_K_ Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Zenki S14
    Also, about the power, the 335hp you quote is likely to be power at the engine and your dynograph will be taken at the wheels, driveline will suck out some power (so at the engine is probably like 400ish or something). Also, you choose your stall based on your cam specs and the cams power band, not on the power it makes.

19. blackteeth

blackteeth Member

Members Ride:
    ye ive already contacted consumer affairs they are keen to help me but I didn't want to sick them on the bloke. It is a ******* headache but I cant find anything else like it around here, it actually drives really really well. I fixed a heap of **** on it aswell myself like the door actuator and the clock spring in the stearing wheel and heaps of other ****.

I don't want to sell back to him because he dodged the recipets....i gave him a 500 deposit and he gave me recipet saying 9grand for car, came back to buy it few days later and he put 13grand on the reciept and like lined it out than put 9. and I traded in my vz Calais for it, if I where to get money back for the car id loose like 4grand.

if I can get it passed the pits with the cam and exhaust n stuff, will they give me a permit then?

I'm pretty dumb when it comes to this ****, first time having to deal with all of this, only ever had 100% stock cars.

20. blackteeth

blackteeth Member

Members Ride:
    if I wanted to get the cam specs, would you have to pull it out to measure it?