Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cammed 2005 VZ SS, Yellow sticker.

blackteeth

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS Auto 4 speed 5.7L Gen III LS1
So what I'm gathering form this is, the car yard is an out right shonk. Dodging receipts....Sellling unroadworthy cars and not wanting to rectify it etc etc....

My suggestion.....Get the shonk to roadworthy the car, or get the shonk to refund your money unless you like headaches associated with it. Yes a modified car is nicer to drive than a stocky (generally speaking), but the fact you have a thread on here about the car being defected for being modified shows it's one big pain in the rectum....(And I have no objections with modified cars wither)

I cant really sell it back to him because ill loose too much money :( Traded in my old car aswell, works out id loose around 4grand +

blackteeth

Reaction score
Members Ride
How much would it cost to get the cam put back in and retuned etc? like 2-3grand?

blackteeth

Reaction score
Members Ride
The challenge is emissions certifying your tune. Doesn’t matter guessing what cam, it needs better emissions control (proper cats at least) and tuned so it doesn’t belch out hydrocarbons.
Get quote / call tune shops with 4 / 5 gas vehicle test rig. With independent advice you will know if it can be done at what cost to pass the WA emissions certificate, hence make an informed decision about kicking arse or sticking with it.

Phoned up about 5-7 tuners here in perth, blokes never phoned me back. left messages with all of them....guess they don't need or want any work ay

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
How much would it cost to get the cam put back in and retuned etc? like 2-3grand?
This is the weird thing about swapping a cam, Holden quotes just over 10 hours (two days). I’ve seen it done in less than six, plenty of examples online.
View media item 301I am happy to pay around $100 / hr to race engine builders, but $150+ for less professional young gun apprentices is sorta stupid.
New cats are key, stock cam is cheap, crank bolt, gasket, oil, coolant, consumables, etc., less than $1800 inc.
Flash tune and 5 gas test $700.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Having said ^^, I would get a quote for tune to comply the current cam with proper cats before you commit to surgery.
I think you can get it to pass and behave just will not be the tune you actually want to live with.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Ye I think I should go with the engineer cert's for cam n etc because really I should be able to make the car dealer pay for that.

Technically speaking this car should have been certified by an engineer before he sold it off.

Ye I'm not too sure if I want to take the cam out. Car dealer has agreed do put stock cam in and etc and pass over pits for me but we are still discussing the options. He wants to take most of the **** off the car, only bought the car because it had these things already done to it.

Ye I also think what R_J_K said is a good idea, maybe chuck stock exhaust back on aswell and a tune, that should pass emissions without taking the cam out

By the sounds of it, the dealer is willing to come to the party and make the car roadworthy, using the cheapest option available....To me, that should be enough to satisfy any complaint you may have with him, as far as the law is concerned.

Now, unfortunately the ball is in your court, whether you want him to do the right thing as far as the law is concerned, or whether you want to shell out of your pocket to get it roadworthy

blackteeth

Reaction score
Members Ride
ye ****, ill keep ya up to date with the news

looks like ill have to go back to stock cam and maybe exhaust and cats to get over pits then chuck back on and then get an eng cert, Eng cert I should have gotten with the car in my opinion. I don't think dealer will wanna pay for that though, eng cert is around 1500-1800 ive heard

but that's the reality of the situation at, whatd you guys reckon?

also appreciate the help a lot! cheers bois

Last edited:

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
ye ****, ill keep ya up to date with the news

looks like ill have to go back to stock cam and maybe exhaust and cats to get over pits then chuck back on and then get an eng cert, Eng cert I should have gotten with the car in my opinion. I don't think dealer will wanna pay for that though, eng cert is around 1500-1800 ive heard

but that's the reality of the situation at, whatd you guys reckon?

also appreciate the help a lot! cheers bois
From what I gather the vehicle was not licensed for headers, cam and other mods. Doesn’t really matter yellow sticker says you need to pay for a vehicle examination at Welshpool or any Approved Inspection Station, $97.20.
The vehicle examination report will help you decide whether you pursue dealer for a full refund (through WA equivalent of small claims) compensating for all out of pocket, vs the extent of cost to license the car and keep it.
It seems emissions may not pass sniff but no point in guessing before you get examination report.
In the case report says only reparations required is emissions related, 95% certain that clean oil, functioning cats, idle adjust, timing tweak, splash of ethanol and armed with pre-testing using a 5 gas unit a tuner will get you through re-exam with existing cam.
You pay for temporary movement permit $29.80, reparations by the tuner (per above around $1000) and re-examination session $66.90.
Ridiculous that you would pay to take the car apart before examination report. Nobody here suggests you pay for anything other than the required exam per yellow sticker, and make a decision based on a) exam report, then if feasible to keep it b) advice from tuner who employs professional equipment and experience to pass emissions requirement with that cam.
Bottom line either you get your investment back less small claims fee and look for another vehicle, or pay an acceptable amount to licence the vehicle (accept part or full compensation from dealer).

Last edited:
H

harrop.senator

I am happy to pay around $100 / hr to race engine builders, but $150+ for less professional young gun apprentices is sorta stupid.

Good luck with that every shops these days $110 a standard mechanic and 140-190 for an engine reconditionist. Even tyre shops charge over a hundy an hour if you worked out their labour costs.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Good luck with that every shops these days $110 a standard mechanic and 140-190 for an engine reconditionist. Even tyre shops charge over a hundy an hour if you worked out their labour costs.
Yeah it’s not so much luck really, just aware of what it costs. Can’t believe people pay the prices you say, one born every minute.