Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cammed v6 lifter noise

vs_boy94

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs berlina s2
Hey guys. I have a stage 2 comp cam in my ecotec v6 and its always had lifter noise with the cam even after i got new lifters put it 4 to 6 months ago. Was wondering if i need longer push to compensate for the cam to fix lifter crush etc. Or could say low 1.7 ratio rockers fix the problem maybe.

All help much appreciated.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Did you set the preload on install? This would've told you if you needed an alternate length pushrod or not.... Rocker arms won't help you either unless you shim them to compensate....

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Aftermarket cams are often ground on a smaller base circle than oem cams and so they need linger pushrods. It happened to me on a 202 and I just ended up filing about 1mm off the bottom of the rocker bridge, but on an older, lower revving engine the rocker geometry wasn't as critical.

MACE

Reaction score
Hi there,

Thank you for your enquiry.

"Hey guys. I have a stage 2 comp cam in my ecotec v6 and its always had lifter noise with the cam even after i got new lifters put it 4 to 6 months ago. Was wondering if i need longer push to compensate for the cam to fix lifter crush etc. Or could say low 1.7 ratio rockers fix the problem maybe."

We don't recommend running high ratio rockers with any of our cams unless they're suited for them. Heavy duty stock length pushrods would be fine to run with the cam you currently have installed.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kindest Regards,
Damo