Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cammed v8 fuel economy

VR028

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
Cams are a hard choice but if the rest of the motor is stock and the diff gears are stock then I've always liked the idea of this one:
"But Wade have a some more sneaky cams one that I really think is cool is the Wade 963A961A10 it's a tiny little thing at 203/213 but as an angry LSA for such a little cam of 110 and will make crazy grunt off the line (fair bit better than the stock cam) BUT it will also make more top end than the stock cam, this is a good cam, especially for a heavy car like a stato. Overal 1/4 mile times about the same as a 284 but better off the line and on fuel etc." From Greenfoams Cam Guide as in shortcut posted by Ari.

i agree with you 100%. this is the cam i had my heart set on. but after contacting crow cams they told me the 4502 will be better for low down torque and fuel economy. they werent very convincing though..

VR028

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
just for the record i have a standard hsv 185i engine manual with 3.08 diff gears. i plan to use pacemaker extractors with either a twin 2.5" or merge it into a single 3". standard manifold with hsv cai and 70mm tb. nothing special really but i get between 500-600 out of a tank right now with about 50-50 highway and city driving.

VR028

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
what a surprise :) a supplier telling you that their product is better than somebody elses. heh.

Haha of course they'd say theirs is better. But it was compared to thier own 4666 with the same specs as the wade cam

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I've used Crow cams & valve springs in all 3 Holden V8's that I've built, including my current 304.
I bought the cam for my current engine back in 2001, which is obviously about 10 years ago now, so I can't speak for their products these days, but I've personally never had reason to question their quality. Fair enough the memcal they supply with their EFI cams is bin material, but it's more intended to just get you started, they never claimed to be tuners.
My current engine has about 70,000kms on it now, no valve train issues, and still making a healthy 206rwkw with stock heads. Not bad figures for a fairly conservative grind cam with great street manners.

VR028

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
thier products maybe good but ive never seen such poor customer service. they have been very un helpful answering my questions so far. i think ill go the safe bet and go a smaller cam rather than a larger one, and most likely from wade

Adamvr93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S Pack - 5 speed
i think ill go the safe bet and go a smaller cam rather than a larger one, and most likely from wade

i thought the same thing when i chose my cam as it was my first time changing a cam and i wasnt sure what to expect with how it would drive on the street and stuff.. now i wish i got a slightly bigger one lol

although that was in a ecotec V6 not V8 :]