Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cammed v8 fuel economy

VR028

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
hi guys just after some fuel figures from people who have experienced any cam change in a 5l. i know there are other factors but im just after gerneral info.

thanks

Clint_G

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SS
my senator has a stage 1 crane cam in it. i get about 300+ kms out of a tank depending on how its driven. its also got a shift kitted auto with after market stallie

VR028

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
my senator has a stage 1 crane cam in it. i get about 300+ kms out of a tank depending on how its driven. its also got a shift kitted auto with after market stallie

so how does that figure compare to when it was standard? or did u buy the car with a cam already?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

VR028

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
I was planning on using the crow 4666 with 204/214 after reading that a similar wade cam with the same duration was good on fuel. I contacted crow but they advised against it and suggested the 4502 with 218/214. What do people think?

Clint_G

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SS
so how does that figure compare to when it was standard? or did u buy the car with a cam already?

i bought it already done. but for a rough comparison my dad said he lost about 40kms per tank from his Ute when he did some work to his 5l.(diff gears 3.7, high ratio roller rockers, extractors, tune). so depending on how big of a cam your going you might be about the same

VR028

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
Cams are a hard choice but if the rest of the motor is stock and the diff gears are stock then I've always liked the idea of this one:
"But Wade have a some more sneaky cams one that I really think is cool is the Wade 963A961A10 it's a tiny little thing at 203/213 but as an angry LSA for such a little cam of 110 and will make crazy grunt off the line (fair bit better than the stock cam) BUT it will also make more top end than the stock cam, this is a good cam, especially for a heavy car like a stato. Overal 1/4 mile times about the same as a 284 but better off the line and on fuel etc." From Greenfoams Cam Guide as in shortcut posted by Ari.