Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cams 6.0L VZ SS Ute

Cambo_88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6.0l SS Ute
Name: Cam
Model: 2006 VZ SS Ute
Colour: Impulse Blue
Engine Type: L76 6.0L V8
Gearbox: 6Spd Manual
Kilometers: 159,xxx (owned since 59,000)
Stereo: Sony Double DIN DVD player. Wired in via an ebay sourced, patch harness so the factory steering wheel controls work.

Mods/Wishlist List:
Legend
D = Done
O = On Order/already have but not installed

X = Coming up next!

Engine:
[D] OTR Intake
[D] New NGK iridium plugs and new leads
[D] Whiteline Engine mounts
[X] MAFless Tune

Drivetrain:
[D] HD Clutch, unsure of type or brand - Previous Owner

Exhaust:
[D] H&M Headers – Tri y
[D] H&M Headers – 200CSPI Cats
[D] Sureflo 3.5 Inch Cat back

Fuel/Ignition/Tuning:

[X] MAFless Tune

Body:
[D] Mothers ultimate wax system
[X]19/20" inch wheels (Either VE SSV or FR1 Simmons)
[X] 10 -20% Window Tint

Suspension/Brakes:

[D] Whiteline control arms
[D] Whiteline strut tops
[D] Whiteline Subrframe mounts
[D] Whiteline diff brace with new Holden mount
[D] Whiteline radius rod bushes
[X] Whiteline rear control arm camber bushes – When I fit lowered springs and shocks.
[O] swap steering rack over to the brand new one I have sitting in my backyard

Ok so a bit about myself

28 years young, cabinetmaker by trade, now a draftsman in the office, so off the tools and that’s where my big drive for working in the shed after work comes from. When I was on the tools as a cabinetmaker it was always a chore to work in the shed. Now I cant go to bed some nights.
Massive rotary freak. Have an all out, “in the build” 1989 mazda rx7 that’s my fun/race car. Has a full mil spec loom front to rear all built and designed by myself, brand new everything OEM that was still available, painted the entire interior, underbody and engine bay myself and now at bare metal bodywork stage waiting on me to pull my finger out and get some epoxy on the body. But every weekend lately ive been doing stuff on the ute and as I need my ute during the week for work i cant risk doing things like diff mounts mid week.

This is just my daily/tow car but over the years of ownership I have come to grow a new found love for v8s. The bottom end torque is awesome!!!

The car got neglected by myself for the first few years of ownership as I had my rx7 as my priority. The engine side of things was always serviced every 10000kms with castol edge 10w-60 and was always very well maintained, Brand new oem waterpump when the weep hole started leaking, radiator, starter motor, etc.

Anyway, Suspension and engine mounts went on the ute many years ago and I just never bothered fixing it. Finally put in some brand new excel-g front shocks earlier this year and about 3 months back I decided to start fixing up the ute properly. Scored a set of cheap(brand new) whiteline engine mounts. Instantly, with a working engine mount my car was like a brand new car again so I went little bit nuts and ended up fixing all remaining suspension and getting my car running good.

Then once the car drove good again I started looking for some other goodies and found a second hand Sureflo exhaust, H&M headers and cats for about 450 Delivered.
Threw the cat back on after work and was in love with my car again after 6 years of daily driving. Then on the weekend i through the headers and cats on and well.. That was the big difference!!! Headers and high flow cats made it just sound so much beefier and already i was looking for a bloody OTR hahah.
Have since bought the OTR and am now looking at getting russo performance to do a MAFless tune.

Last edited:

Cambo_88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6.0l SS Ute
20161210_175946_zpspalsklc5.jpg

20161210_175931_zpsjk1zycwz.jpg

20161210_175926_zpskubeiidr.jpg

20161126_133209_zpsaswrx6bk.jpg

Cleaned the engine bay a little bit
20161204_123352_zpsdj4cpcju.jpg

20161124_183311_zps4zfdd4ru.jpg

20161124_063750_zpst16enxd1.jpg

20161113_134548_zpsnjmnbezx.jpg

20161119_103120_zps5de14e0k.jpg

20161023_154657_zpsmlq4oqfu.jpg

20161023_154732_zpsyzz2kgnx.jpg

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Nice , I bet all that work has transformed it .
Mazda in the projects thread ?

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
how do you find those mounts ? stiff ?

Cambo_88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6.0l SS Ute
Nice , I bet all that work has transformed it .
Mazda in the projects thread ?
Thanks mate, Yea it made quite a big difference to how the car feels. Diff brace and rear subframe mounts made the most impact overall though. No more tramping on WOT in first gear. It just pulled with those in at first. But i just put my VCM OTR on and now it just fry's tires in first on WOT.
Nah, the mazda has a build thread on Ausrotary, but wasnt going to post any of that car on here as i didnt think it was ok haha.

how do you find those mounts ? stiff ?
At first it was a little bit harsh but didnt take long to get used to them and they do soften up a bit. For i think about $160 a pair from memory i could'nt pass them up though. Holden wanted like $180 a side.

20161218_121123_zps8mv4hw3x.jpg