Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cams and torque myths.

Ralphski

Ralphski
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 VYII 3.8 Executive - MY11 VEII 3.6 Calais VV6
With a smallish cam like you describe one thing you can do is retard the cam timing a little and closing the intake valve a little later, this will reduce the captured volume in the cylinder and move the torque band up the rpm range a little but shouldn't really hurt the driveability in any meaningful way.
Hmmm, well it is an Rollmaster double row timing chain with 2deg +/- increments.
Shouldn't be too hard to go -2 ...

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
Even a set of 3.9s or 3.7s and no cam would have been better than my current cam and tune, and that would have cost half or less than what it cost a PO to fit a cam. Actually a lot less probably because they also upgraded the clutch because it was slipping at WOT under the revs they were testing at....... When I was talking to the PO he said with the new clutch the tuner reckons he could now get a few more KW, for what??? I don't need KW I need driveability around the back streets and in stop, start traffic.
Begs the questions, why buy car when you know all the details of it and you test drove the car.
I don't need KW I need driveability around the back streets and in stop, start traffic.
If you want driveability in daily stop/start daily traffic ??
best suggestion is put stock cam back in with your valve train upgrade (since you have lifters already done) and be happy with the power of the factory LS without the bs of cams, extra power, blowers and hd manual clutches etc etc.

Its a never ending story of sales bs and breakages and twindling $$$$$$$$ and not to mention fuel use $$/economy issues.
After all where are you going to enjoy Wide open throttle dyno kw power/figures ?? definitely not 60kpm daily traffic speed limit roads or suburbia 40/50kpm limits idling along along in 1st /2nd gear.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
this is for anyone that has poor drivability from a camshaft (especially smaller then this one) these threads below are myself and couple others helping a home tuner with bucking from camshaft btr 233 248 619/595 lsa 113+5 as u can see its not a small camshaft with 14 deg overlap @.050, now i mentioned home tuner and within two threads and 25 posts his experience and our input we helped pretty much fix his drivability with that camshaft and its in manual trans also so no converter to hide the issues behind, so why cant pro tuners with many years experience doing these tunes every week fix this for there customers...

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Begs the questions, why buy car when you know all the details of it and you test drove the car.

best suggestion is put stock cam back in with your valve train upgrade (since you have lifters already done) and be happy with the power of the factory LS without the bs of cams, extra power, blowers and hd manual clutches etc etc.

Its a never ending story of sales bs and breakages and twindling $$$$$$$$ and not to mention fuel use $$/economy issues.
After all where are you going to enjoy Wide open throttle dyno kw power/figures ?? definitely not 60kpm daily traffic speed limit roads or suburbia 40/50kpm limits idling along along in 1st /2nd gear.

Cheaping out on the up front purchase price.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

Unfortunately I didn't have the luxury of test driving it in traffic as it was bought from a small country town.
I can live with the cam but I have plans to get it street tuned. Unfortunately I don't have $5k to chuck a stock cam back in. A proper tune will apparently help a lot. I'm starting to prepare for it now. I just need to order springs and have the trunnions and springs fitted. Then I should be safe to get the tune sorted.
I'm actually keen to see just how much a new tune will help. I just need to find a place that can do it and get it right, which according to Dylan we don't have anyone.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ohh well, maybe I could have done better, hard to say really? I struggled to find the perfect ute as everything was always too far away to get there at short notice. And let's face it, most ads show the cars best parts not the problems....

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Ohh well, maybe I could have done better, hard to say really? I struggled to find the perfect ute as everything was always too far away to get there at short notice. And let's face it, most ads show the cars best parts not the problems....

Its just like a house. Only after living with it do you notice all the little crappy bits, or the little intermittent issues. On first, even second viewing you are still trying to take it all in!

You had some bad luck with the valve spring, hopefully that was all the bad juju used up.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Its just like a house. Only after living with it do you notice all the little crappy bits, or the little intermittent issues. On first, even second viewing you are still trying to take it all in!
Exactly, there are so many things, that I don't think anyone would find on a 30 minute inspection, even someone highly trained. SH car is always a gamble and in hindsight I'm sure I wished I could have shaved another $2k of the final sale price to allow for the money I have spent. But I'm still happy with it as. It had a few upgrades and these things cost a lot if I had to don't myself. Exhaust alone was probably $2k worth and it certainly gets some comments.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Small cam, or stroker?

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
Yeah agree with ya, the old owner saw bright eyed Losh coming since he was only concerned with lower price and all the aftermarket goodies fitted, probably didn’t even test drive the ute which would have told him heaps on any road.

Better buy would have been to purchase higher priced factory stock ute with lower kms that were available in tassie and cheaper still on the mainland states and then experience driving around for a while with no issues at all and plan/think/save what upgrades to do at a later date that he would like but we are talking dollars and not just getting the cheapest black 1 available.

Most times a blank canvas might cost more $$$ but end result in your time and budget, you have/get what you want in the end, not someone elses messed up used canvas which costs more to reinstate their misteakes.