Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

camshaft what is best for my vr v6

Marcho

Marcho"s R.I.D.E
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Accliam S2
Hi All
Sorry if this has been asked before many times I am stumped on this.

I am in the process of rebuilding my manual V6 vr. So far I have had it cleaned honed and bored .040thou for bigger pistons
New ACL race series pistons, bearings. Nayson lifters,yella terra 1.7 rockers ,springs, valve stem seals etc. I am building the motor to (one day maybe run) a stage 2 raptor kit or similar.

What I would like to know is what would be the best camshaft brand, price, to suit my motor. I have been looking at a stage2 cam from crow, billet, RPW but am not sure of price. I have also been told to steer clear of a regrind (correct me if I’m wrong) as this would only last a little while due to cutting through the case hardening and reducing the life of the camshaft also grinding the base circle reduces the life and can cause noisy tappets.
Any help ASAP would be great

Thanks

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
When they regrind a cam they case harden it again at least Wade do and test it once it's done. The Stage 2 Crow is too small, the Stage 3 is OK

VSIIBerlinaL67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
if your gonna supercharge it make sure you get a cam to suit.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
nothing at all wrong with reground cams ivw allways had my stock cams reground.my old 4k corolla cam went through 3 engines and about 5 years of abuse no problems same with my 202 camshaft.no point paying for a new billet cam when you can get a good regrind.

Marcho

Marcho"s R.I.D.E
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Accliam S2
cam shaft

Hi all

I have brought a stage 3 billet Crow cam. $515 for the cam shaft pretty happy about that, when you consider they charge on their web site $1300-$1400 for a stage 3 shaft and memcal alone. Now all I have to do is get my memcal tuned again by greenfoam, Dr Bob or chip torque. I have been told for my mods that this cam would suit my set up either with or without the charger. All i need to do now is get prices for the tune.

Last edited: