Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

camshafts worn? ZX18ER

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
A friend of mine has a 2008 Astra, petrol engine. The engine light came on. It came up with error codes related to valve timing. A workshop changed a cam phasing solenoid. She got engine light again. The first workshop has closed so she took it to another workshop. They claimed both camshafts were worn and charged her $800 to replace them. It had done 169000 km, I don't believe they would wear out so soon (unless somebody put stiff valve springs in, but this is not a hoon car).

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
A friend of mine has a 2008 Astra, petrol engine. The engine light came on. It came up with error codes related to valve timing. A workshop changed a cam phasing solenoid. She got engine light again. The first workshop has closed so she took it to another workshop. They claimed both camshafts were worn and charged her $800 to replace them. It had done 169000 km, I don't believe they would wear out so soon (unless somebody put stiff valve springs in, but this is not a hoon car).

If its done around 110,000kms, its probably an intake cam phaser, common problem with the Z18XER engine.