Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can’t get engine mounts to line up

Jdt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx executive series 2
I’ve got a series 2 vx commodore with an ecotec. I bent the engine kframe after hitting a gutter with the right front wheel. I’ve got an engine subframe out of a vy that had an ecotec in it and I’m trying to put that in my vx. I’ve successfully got my old subframe out and the new one mounted in. Now that I’m lowering my engine back down I can not get the mounts to line up in the k frame. Just wondering if anyone has any tips ? I’m fairly certain that the vx and vy use the same engine mounts for an ecotec. So that k frames should have the same mounting position?

H

harrop.senator

I hate V6 engine mounts. A big breaker bar and lots of shaking and swearing til it falls in. I still haven't nailed it yet.

M#ick2183

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt wagon, vt hsv xu8,vs hsv senator,vs ss ute
I used a small short ratchet stap last time and just few clicks and one side pops in, put nuts on loose an repeat for other side

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Put one side in, put the nuts on a few turns, then lift the engine up again so the first mount lifts up against the nuts and you should be able to wiggle the other side in.

Leave the engine mount to block bolts a little loose to allow a little more "wiggling" room/movement.

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
Loosen both engine mounts as much as you can from the engine side. They'll start to sag and point straight down. It's impossible to do while they're nipped up as they both point outwards, and the tips of the threaded bolts are a good 50mm further apart than the holes in the subframe.

Loosen em up, and you'll have plenty clearance to get em in.

Dazzy74

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore
passenger Side is easiest, drivers side is difficult. Only do one at a time. Jack engine up and loosen bolts, fit new mount with bracket and lower into position. Takes a bit of manoeuvering. Drivers side may take a few hours attempting to tighten the bolts. Not much room down there without the right tools. Prick of a job!

Dazzy74

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore
Also forgot to mention, unbolt A/C compressor and shift forward for easier access. You Don’t need to disconnect it just move it forward.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
passenger Side is easiest, drivers side is difficult. Only do one at a time. Jack engine up and loosen bolts, fit new mount with bracket and lower into position. Takes a bit of manoeuvering. Drivers side may take a few hours attempting to tighten the bolts. Not much room down there without the right tools. Prick of a job!
I do the drivers side first. then the passenger. I remove the compressor from the engine without disconecting it (tie it of to the side out of the way). Then the mount is easy to drop in the kframe. Put the bottom bolts on first, leave the bolts loose. Then the bolts from the mount to engine are easy to access. Tighten top bolts then bottom bolts, then put the compressor back, & anything else you may have taken of. Job done.