Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can a 5L40E Automatic Transmission handle high RPM'S

Joshua Pevitt

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 VZ SV6 Commodore 5 Speed AUTO 3.6L
Just want to ask can these 5 speed auto transmissions handle high rev's they are quite know to be a real crap transmission and break down and have problems can they handle it if you were to floor it?

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Don't assume any engine and transmission in a VZ (any variant) will take kindly to being thashed aka "high revs": it won't allow it. The engineering to prevent this, for the sake of protecting both engine and transmission, is well known and cannot be circumvented.

Joshua Pevitt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Don't assume any engine and transmission in a VZ (any variant) will take kindly to being thashed aka "high revs": it won't allow it. The engineering to prevent this, for the sake of protecting both engine and transmission, is well known and cannot be circumvented.
Hmmm I heard that people try to do it and the car doesn't let them

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There is no point revving a motor higher than where it makes torque/power and this is governed by the tune. I don't think the transmission cares about revs, it's the torque/power limits that will kill the trans but again, Holden would have used torque management systems/tuning to help the trans survive.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Hmmm I heard that people try to do it and the car doesn't let them

That's right, it doesn't.
What are you doing??
They're perfectly good and very capable cars for drivers (and travellers, for example!) to go anywhere they want, over any distance. By dint of engineering, they just are not the cars for winging it and burning rubber with the Broady Boys. :p

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Depends how often you floor it I guess, if your constantly thrashing it all the time you will shorten the life of your trans and everything else for that matter it’s best to keep your trans services up to date if you wanna help it last and if you don’t know when it was last serviced than it would be wise to go and get it done regardless of how your driving it

Joshua Pevitt

Reaction score
Members Ride
There is no point revving a motor higher than where it makes torque/power and this is governed by the tune. I don't think the transmission cares about revs, it's the torque/power limits that will kill the trans but again, Holden would have used torque management systems/tuning to help the trans survive.
I don't thrash my car at all if so ever so rarely I've never done burnouts or any kind of skids in my car

Joshua Pevitt

Reaction score
Members Ride
That's right, it doesn't.
What are you doing??
They're perfectly good and very capable cars for drivers (and travellers, for example!) to go anywhere they want, over any distance. By dint of engineering, they just are not the cars for winging it and burning rubber with the Broady Boys. :p
I've never ripped a burnout or any kind of skid in my car at all once in a while rarely I plant my foot down but that's mainly it

Joshua Pevitt

Reaction score
Members Ride
QUOTE="vr304, post: 3100886, member: 107894"]Depends how often you floor it I guess, if your constantly thrashing it all the time you will shorten the life of your trans and everything else for that matter it’s best to keep your trans services up to date if you wanna help it last and if you don’t know when it was last serviced than it would be wise to go and get it done regardless of how your driving it[/QUOTE]
I rarely floor it