Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can a 5L40E Automatic Transmission handle high RPM'S

Joshua Pevitt

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 VZ SV6 Commodore 5 Speed AUTO 3.6L
Depends how often you floor it I guess, if your constantly thrashing it all the time you will shorten the life of your trans and everything else for that matter it’s best to keep your trans services up to date if you wanna help it last and if you don’t know when it was last serviced than it would be wise to go and get it done regardless of how your driving it
I rarely floor it

apollo13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG
There is no point revving a motor higher than where it makes torque/power and this is governed by the tune. I don't think the transmission cares about revs, it's the torque/power limits that will kill the trans but again, Holden would have used torque management systems/tuning to help the trans survive.
Although 5L40E is not a heavy-duty transmission, the VZ Alloytec doesn't make enough torque to damage it. I envisage if you did sustained high RPM (say cannonball run across Nullabor) it might overheat.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Explodes if you go above 2k RPM.

Joshua Pevitt

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 VZ SV6 Commodore 5 Speed AUTO 3.6L
Although 5L40E is not a heavy-duty transmission, the VZ Alloytec doesn't make enough torque to damage it. I envisage if you did sustained high RPM (say cannonball run across Nullabor) it might overheat.
Is there any aftermarket transmissions for a vz?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
For someone that rarely floors it, I wonder why they are worried about high RPM's and why they'd want an aftermarket transmission...

They should be open and honest as to why they are asking such questions, as the questions and answers don't marry up

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Explodes if you go above 2k RPM.

Bollocky.
Pressing the VZ's POWER button will shift into overdrive and RPM will easily reach 3,000+ without sweat and without drama — literally pinching up its skirt and bolting. The Alloytec and transmission is a wonderful combo when you need to drive and travel, irrespective of the distance, rather than try and look impressive pulling stunts. I have not from memory seen the RPMs go higher than I think 3,400 in POWER mode. I know this as I used it very frequently with a full travel load, up and down to Darwin, and crossing the Nullarbor, overtaking big rigs. The transmission is very capable and has the beef to get moving when it is prodded, just that neither it or the engine will allow you to get donuts or smoke the rubbers, which is what so many drivers are angling for and end up wrecking perfectly good and capable cars.

VZ transmissions must be serviced at the 100,000km interval (first service) then 80,000km (second service). There should be no whining or rumbling, clunking or metallic noise in normal drive or POWER/overdrive modes. Because of the age of VZs now prospective buyers must have their wits about them in going over the engines and especially the transmission — a not inconsiderable expense if major repairs are required!

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Every transmission needs a good external cooler. Heat is the biggest killer of automatic transmissions. I'd service it more regularly too than the factory recommended interval.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Every transmission needs a good external cooler. Heat is the biggest killer of automatic transmissions. I'd service it more regularly too than the factory recommended interval.

Yes, if towing a van or heavy trailer (e.g. tradie's trailer) frequently.
Otherwise with normal driving, the transmission is well able to maintain a safe range of temperature.