Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

can a sub run off the HU?

V

vpwgn

Gday fellas. Now i know very little about car audio and was wondering if you guys could help me out. There are 12" 350 watt subs at BCS for $24 and since im poor i wanna get one but not an amp. Now what i would like to know is, is it possible to run 2 x 6" 150 watt speakers and a 350 watt sub from a HU with 4 x 50watt? and if not are there other cheaper alternatives to this?
any help would be greatly appreciated
Nick

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
Absoloutely, not. Head Units arent made to power subs, they have enough power for the average speaker, and thats about it. Definitely a 4x 50W HU will be good for the speakers (not the best, but good) but you'll need an amp for the sub.

A 350W speaker will usually go pretty well with an amp that supplies half the power. If you get an amp from 100-200W you should be able to run the sub with no pain. Theres lots of things to take into account before it will sound 'good'.

V

vpwgn

thanx for clearing that up for me. Guess ill have to keep saving.

milno

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Vt , vk
gday mate if u r after rib vibrating bass u r going to have to save ur pennys but if u r after just a general bass sound my suggestion would be a good quality head unit that gives out at least 45w per speaker and some good quality 4way speakers suck as pioneer or jbl. these would easily give a better quality sound then a cheap sub. plus there is the convienence of not having to wire in a amp kit. and also having to maybe even upgrade your car batt. or in the long run alternater. if u have any questions just ask me. dave

justinredvl

Reaction score
for a cheap amp check out jaycar they have some cheap amps not the best quality but u cant ask for muh more with cheap sub

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
Yeah, don't even try wiring it up to the head unit. You could blow the head unit, which inturn will cost more money replacing it. You can pick up a cheap 4 channel amp from strathies for about $140 which could power your sub and 2 6x9's.

Better to be safe then sorry!!

I

IVICA

justinredvl said:
for a cheap amp check out jaycar they have some cheap amps not the best quality but u cant ask for muh more with cheap sub
Hey justin, i wudn be knocken the jaycar amps, there have been proven to be the superior ones when compared with your other well known brands..they had an article also in street machine comfirming this...just because it dont look good dont mean it aint got balls. My mates got the delux one jaycar amp, to power his 2 15inch MTX subs, and they bloody crank. so yer jus thought id have my 2 cents worth :)