Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

can a v6 crow cams chip be reprogramed for a v8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy v6 manual ute
We have a unused crow cam chip for a V6 and was wondering if it can be reprogramed for a 5lt with twin thrott's?
Thanks in advance

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
From memory the crow memcal is locked. If you've spent the money on a twin throttle body I'm sure spending an extra $50 for a memcal from your tuner wouldn't be that bad.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy v6 manual ute
I actually swapped it for a irs diff, its a custom made one too. was just tryin to do things a bit cheaper an if I got one sittin round doin nuthin I thought why not use it. but had a feeling they'd lock them :-(

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
Sorry darl. Could always try the wreckers/gumtree/ebay and see what comes up.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Wouldn't have mattered anyway, would have been a completely new image, it's not like there's a V6/V8 flag which you can just check, they're completely different and not much from the original image would have been usable for a V8.

Send your original memcal to one of the forum tuners maybe.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy v6 manual ute
I thought they might have been able to remove the v6 image an put the V8 one on it. I'm still learning bout chips now

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The Holden ones can be erased with a UV burner or a ROM burner and written to with a ROM burner. They don't lock their tunes, delcohacking even has a library of factory tunes. You can open them up and have a look at them in TunerPro, interesting stuff.

Last edited:

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
OP is talking about using a Crow cam memcal from a v6. Crow memcals are usually locked and not able to be reprogrammed. OP spend the money get a decent mail order tune done. The tuner will also be able to provide a memcal. Also don't forget to make a ride thread :p

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
V6 and V8 memcals are different. Even if you did erase the V6 tune you wouldn't want to use it for a V8 engine.