Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can abs be installed??

clarmatt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SII Executive
i have recently got myself a 2003 vy ute, without abs. after driving with abs since i have had my l's i cant get used to it, the rear wheels lock and the car slides if ever i need to hit the breaks hard. my mate has a smashed vy station wagon, is there any way of taking his abs system out and putting it on the ute. is it possable at all to install abs on one a car where it didnt come standard?

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I'd say anything is possible, but the price may scare you.

JB3s VY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Massive job mate.
Gota install the ABS unit itself, along with all the correct fitting lines, (not sure if the master cylinder is different?) and the computer to run it. Also wiring, sensors and new hubs with pulse rings on all fours wheels ect ect.
Im sure there is much much more to it aswel, probably wont be a practical thing to do, someone with more experience might no more though!

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
yeh dude, its all got custom wiring looms and instrument clusters, and as said above with the sensors, probably the rotors might have to be changed, big job mate..

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
VY without ABS? That's interesting.
Yes as said, big job. Don't know how you would go for rego passing if they knew ABS was fitted afterwards.
Maybe take it easy until you get used to driving it, I jump between cars without and with ABS often just need to learn how to cope with a car that needs to be driven by you, not by sensors.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Don't worry about ABS - you don't really need it if you are a skilled driver.

I would seriously look at taking some advanced driving lessons and you will soon learn how to keep your car under control in emergency braking and other situations.

Unfortunately too many people are let loose on the road who have no idea how to control a vehicle in all types of situations because they are not taught and most of the teachers don't know either.

Anyone here who has undertaken a few quality advanced driving courses will tell you how good these are towards improving your driving skills.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s m5 supercharged
When i picked up my VY i hated the fact that the ABS and tracton control was so intrusive (got it second hand) but after a few months it was time for new tyres and i went for the good stuff around $290 to $320 per tyre (not top of the range but at around $1200 per set its getting up there) and you now have to be doing something dumb or need to stop REAL hard to get the ABS or traction to cut in.

And my car is a manual

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
When i picked up my VY i hated the fact that the ABS and tracton control was so intrusive (got it second hand) but after a few months it was time for new tyres and i went for the good stuff around $290 to $320 per tyre (not top of the range but at around $1200 per set its getting up there) and you now have to be doing something dumb or need to stop REAL hard to get the ABS or traction to cut in.

And my car is a manual
Cool story Hansel!

== OP should just get decent tyres