Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

can alternator damage the computer?

blueray95

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice SS V8 6.0
hi,
so i have caprice 2009 6.0 and few weeks ago i noticed that the light are kinda weak so i entered the engineering mode and i saw that the voltage were 12.4 idle so i figured that my alternator is bad and i got a warning while i was driving the car to the garage. so the mechanic called me today and he said that he tried +4 alternators (and one was new) and all of them giving very high voltage 15.2. he suggested that i need to change the engine's computer. so what do you think guys is it true that i need a new computer?

UPDATE: anyway guys the mechanic called me this morning and he said that they fixed it and they've reprogram it (i doubt if its true) anyway i am gonna take the car to another shop and keep you guys updated hopefully i would come with something that would help someone has same problem and thank you all of you for being kind and help me :)

Last edited:

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Hi mate , I'd seek an second opinion from a different mechanic .

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
try charging the battery disconnected from car then reconnect battery and retest
i have had some unusual readings with flat batteries giving the computer a new default charge level
also check all the power cable connectors between battery and alternator
and measure voltage at the battery

blueray95

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice SS V8 6.0
try charging the battery disconnected from car then reconnect battery and retest
i have had some unusual readings with flat batteries giving the computer a new default charge level
also check all the power cable connectors between battery and alternator
and measure voltage at the battery
the battery is still new (9 months old i think). i tried to reach the cable but its way too deep inside i cant reach it but i will try to check directly from battery cable hope that the readings will be better

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
15.2v is fine for the VE+ usually if u turn your headlights on and give it a few mins it will lower the charge because the headlights run better at a lower charge around 14v they will all charge higher after a start to replenish the loss from cranking and sitting around, id recommend disconnect battery and charge to full then refit and drive car and it should reset its charging and adjust to the fully charged battery

blueray95

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice SS V8 6.0
15.2v is fine for the VE+ usually if u turn your headlights on and give it a few mins it will lower the charge because the headlights run better at a lower charge around 14v they will all charge higher after a start to replenish the loss from cranking and sitting around, id recommend disconnect battery and charge to full then refit and drive car and it should reset its charging and adjust to the fully charged battery
i've charged the battery but still.

blueray95

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice SS V8 6.0
anyway guys the mechanic called me this morning and he said that they fixed it and they've reprogram it (i doubt if its true) anyway i am gonna take the car to another shop and keep you guys updated hopefully i would come with something that would help someone has same problem and thank you all of you for being kind and help me :)

blueray95

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice SS V8 6.0
hi guys 2 years later update: 3 month ago the alternator decided to not charge the battery what so ever, so I've checked the negative terminal and it was loose so I've tightened it and the issue is gone until last month it came back the terminal it was tight and clean so I decided to change the alternator it only worked if I revved the engine and it would charge normally (13.4v) i changed the battery no luck so what's your thoughts? maybe the ground cable is not conducting well?