Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can anyone help? Ticking making me go crazy!

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
My 5L does it, I'm certain it's the injectors though so I'm not too worried. I used the screwdriver trick and it is definitely the injectors, still goes like a cut cat so who cares? :)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
injector normally make a ticking noise, mine do. unfortunatly the VN series engines uses a group fire injector setup and therefor all the injector fire at the same time. the later model ecotecs use sequencial injection and only one injector fires at a time and therefor much less apparent noise, you would find however that if you listen carefullly to these engines you will still find a ticking noise as well, fact of life etc:thumbsup:

edit: the longeryou normally own a car the more "strange noises" you start to here that weren't there before

cruzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr Commodore
i had the same problem with my vr. and the ticking grew worse over time and especially occoured when accelarating. I was running pacemakes extractors and it turned out that the ticking came from a hole in the gasket between the extractors and the engine.

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
I remember blowng an xorst gasket and it was more of a fluttering noise, and Ive had it checked so I dont think its zorst. Hmmm so only other 2 culprits would be injectors and lifters. So its either buy a new set of injectors or try some new oil. One of my other mates have suggested take the rocker covers off and turn the car over on idle too see if anything is suspect in there.

P.S. The engine was suposedly rebuilt 35,000kms ago. The clock has stopped at 350,000 tho. And ive done my fair share of burnouts :).

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
i blew an exhaust clear off the car doing keybangers in my mates old xd basher... hahhaha no tick there, just a massive kaboom and plenty sparks.

we drove home with the exhaust tied to the roof...

you wont hear a tick if you do that mate! :thumbsup:

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
hahahahahaha good on ya!

well easy to see if its the lifters, just take the oil filler capo off the rocker cover and see if it gets louder of put your ear to it and see if you can identife where its comign from, dont rev the motor with the cap off unless the hole is covered with something, oil with by flung out the hole.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
put a screw driver to each rocker cover and listen for the ticking, when i put my worked heads on, i didnt use locktite stuff to hold the rocker bolts in so they because loose and made a noise, all fixed now but i doubt it but your prob could be rockers, lifters

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
put a screw driver to each rocker cover and listen for the ticking, when i put my worked heads on, i didnt use locktite stuff to hold the rocker bolts in so they because loose and made a noise, all fixed now but i doubt it but your prob could be rockers, lifters

Have done that man, sound all good there. Only thing that resembled the noise was the injectors....Hmmm.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
read this slowly so you understand it ok...
INJECTORS WILL TICK, ALL OF THEM, NEW, OLD WHATEVER
no ifs no buts..

Rob