Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can anyone help? Ticking making me go crazy!

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
Hey guys, as some of you would know my car has been making a reletivly loud ticking noise from under the hood. Now I HAVE changed my injectors to some 2nd hand ones from Ebay and cleaned them up myself. I have inspected the engone for where the noise is coming from with a long flat blade screwdriver. After placing the screwdriver on manythings under the hood I found that the noise is coming from each and every fuel injector. I did have suspicions at the time of noisy lifters but when placing the screwdriver ontop of each cylinder on the rockercover no noise was emmitted.

Soo, this has been hapening for a good 6 months now and It's really getting on my nerves. After I installed the new 2nd hand injectors i have found that there was NO change in the noise, it was the same and clear as a Bell.

The ticking can be herd in idle (so can most other cars) but when it really kicks in is about 2000PRM and higher. So what do you guys recon it could be, injectors still!? Cause im out of options...

P.S. Have been running Caltex Vortex 98 for a good 6 weeks now. No Change.

V

VK Wagon

Hey There,
Have you check your oil? Or get the car service?

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
Baisically I do all the stuff on the car myself, Oil level and colour is fine, although saying that it has been droping engine oil in the past few weeks(it wasnt dropping any before, well not as much thats for sure!). Umm 26/5/06 I last changed Sparks, Leads and put fesh Oil and Filter in.

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
injector ticking = solenoids

and lifters are another curlprit for ticks under the BONNET..
you dont have a trunk you have a BOOT. and you dont have a hood you have a BONNET.

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
Hood, Bonnet, same horse different jockey. But Yeah, I cleaned the ebay injectors with metho and a toothbrush and let them sit in the metho with them open. By open I mean hooking up a cordless drill battery up to them.

Chalky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Hey Mack, Check that you don't have a cracked exaust manifold, it is a common problem with the cast iron manifolds on VN-VP's once they get a bit older. :thumbsup:

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
Oh yeah, I have had the whole zorst checked, apparently no leaks. I also have Pacemaker Headers (extractors) and the rest is brand new 2.5" redback except for the stock cat convertor. Thanks for all you replys...

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I had a new tick noise from a badly fitted CAS. One of the fins on the balancer had been bent and was touching the CAS. I was told it was the injectors. I told the nut I had been driving the car for 17 years and the tick noise was new. He replaced the balancer. Tick gone.

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
Nice one GreenVN, you obviously know your ticks :D. Its hard for me becuase the tock started oh so long ago, I have owned the car for roughly 15 months now and the ticking would of started about 6 months after having it. I cant recall it being there suddenly, but more of a progressive increse in noise. Hope that helps.

P.S. Alternator, waterpump, Gearboxes and diffs have been changed over the time ive had it.

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Does the tick go away if you disconnect an injector?