Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can anyone tell me about my ECU unit?

kane2011

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp commodore 1992
I have just replaced the ECU unit on my VP commodore and am still having problems. Do I need to to take my car in to have in reprogrammed. The car's check light doesnt come on. Sometimes it starts and sometimes it doesnt. I am wondering if it is a fuel injection problem. Does anyone know the solution to this problem. With thanks. Kane2011:hmmm:

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Provided there is a memcal in place - blue and brown plastic block inside the aluminium case - there's no reprogramming necessary. It is a good idea to swap the original memcal from the car (assuming it hasn't been changed previously) into the new ECM as there are differences between the various models using the "VP" ECM.

No CEL is most likely a dud anti-theft system (although it might pay to check the fuses). Either switch it off - switch in the A-pillar, passenger side - if you have the key or check the operation of the remote(s) => remote battery?. Check the operation with the spare remote if you have it.

The work around is to bypass the switch. There should be a few posts already on how to do that.

Colrow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
If it starts sometimes but doesnt others the first thing i would be looking at is the plugs to make sure theyre ok but old mate up here ^^ sounds like he knows what hes on about so listen to him :p