Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can i change a head gasket in a day?

vtmomentum

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII V6
peanut i had the same issue car would heat up rapidaly from normal temp to hot and hot light flashing in about 3-4 seconds it would sit on hot for 30 sec or so then it would cool down to normal in about 3-4 seconds it was my thermostat i replaced it and it was fine after that give your cooling system a good flush as well if it hasent been done for a while thermo about 20 dollars worth a try b4 go ripping engine apart

Choppersilver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
hey there,

I got oil in my water... brown oily gunk.

can only come from one place.... right?

these are famous for requiring head gasgets.... I went to turners auctions a while ago looking for ex police vt sedan and found two... they both had combustion gasses in the radiator at an estimated cost of about nzd2000 to repair, they both sold for over nzd8000 which I didnt purchase.

did they fix it with the VY?

Simonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack m5
do you know if its a stuffed head gasket or and inlet manifold gasket? I'v been told its rare for headgaskets to go on ecotecs and will more likely be a inlet manifold gasket. No real easy was to tell them apart untill you take things apart.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
THese engines have some of the least head gasket occurrences out there, the GM Graphite gaskets are that good that mechanics rarely believe it, and reputable engine performance engine builders preferring them over the rest, such as Sams Performance.

A pity they couldnt follow up with the intake manifold gasket as they are probably the worst ever put on a car, in Series 1 and 2 v6 engines. It cost them heaps in the U.S over the years, but probably made heaps back with their replacement gaskets. DO the intake gasket first, you will see if it is that or not when you remove it, if its fine, then your only 16 bolts away from taking off the head (must remove rocker gear).

Lewie

B Cast and flat topped!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Very thirsty VT & VH project under way! YAY!!
I had a similar problem in my 98 VT. I found it to be a sticky thermostat.