Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can i change a head gasket in a day?

peanut_finger

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT EXECUTIVE
Okay here it goes. I have had a intermitent overheating problem in my VT V6. I have draned and flushed radiators and stuffed around with numerous other things but it will still over heat at inconsisent times. A friend of mine says he had the same problem and it was a head gasket. She has been using a bit more water than usual and has developed a bit of a hesitent miss at times.

Can anyone suggest if I can change the head gasket with minimal mechanical experience. What sort fo time frame am i looing at to do this?

I have one of those gregorys manuals that explains it, but i dont want to get myself in a mess over the weekend without any transport.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
The reality is - things can and will go wrong.

If you've never done such an operation, it's best to give yourself a few days 'error buffer' after you start the operation.

you'll need more specialized tools like a torque wrench, for example.

if you follow the gregory's book closely, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to do it - but allow for stuff ups, breakages, etc. (so don't expect to have it ready by monday :p) - specially cause you can't buy parts on a sunday afternoon!

anyway - before you rip the heads off - go visit a mechanic and see if they can diagnose it for sure - it could be something as simple as a heater tap leaking - and the miss could be unrelated.

does your oil look like custard?
do you get steam out the exhaust when car is warm?

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
When you say minimal mechanical experience how much exactly?..
Agree with luke, dont start ripping the head off until you know for sure its ahead gasket. Have you checked your oil? If its head gasket the oil will be a milky colour, also try this.. when the engine is cold take the radiator cap off and start the car and post your results.. Or just take it to a mechanic and see if they can check it out for you.

-Michael-

Ooh Yeah.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Pack
Check your heater tap first ;)

minitsbay

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
i have same problem mine isnt heads its intake maniold gasket

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
i have same problem mine isnt heads its intake maniold gasket

i was about to add this, its usally this first... commonly confused

aZk.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Took me a day for intake manifold. Remember oil changes and coolant changes take a bit as well.

You cannot do it properly in just a day. What if you need to deck the heads etc ? Gotta clean up the block properly etc.

Paiste402

My workin on the car face
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
when i did my head gaskets on my old VC i thought it would take too long, then i found that the cylinders need cleaning, then i learnt how much scraping is needed to get all the old gaskets off (ALL OF IT), found out my lifters were shagged and needed new ones, found a bent push rod and had to clean the others ect ect ect ect.

Dont rush it, get the gregories book and take ur time, have all ur tools ready and have a big clean table to sit all the rockers and pushrods in so they stay in the correct order. You will know so much more about ur motor afterwards lol!

Best of luck mate

mitmit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
i am having same problem too,

my car just broke down and my radiator was empty

so i refilled it again rying to drive the car home untill the engine is having knock sound now

then today i start pull things apart

open the inlet manifold and found the coolant inside mixed with oil

so pls guys i need help too

is my car problem worse about the knocking sound? need help pls

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
mitmit ; You shouldnt pull anything out b4 testing few items ;

Water pump efficiency, thermostat operation ,radiator leakage ,cooling sys. pressure test and finally compression test.

The water u've just seen (after taking the inlet man out) came from the manifold ,cause u've tilt it whiletaking it out ,oh if its green wouldnt worry about it too much,but if its caramel brown ,yeah go and replace whatever.you fancy.

Knocking noise is very common for these engines.There is no quick fix.put up or spend $$$.