Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

can i change the gas vapour filter myself?

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 colorado diesel 4wd automatic. 2010 mazda 3
and where the 'f' is it? the lpg workshop mechanic said he hooks the laptop up and checks all fuel trims as well as changing the filter. the filter needs changing every 20 thou i think, so do i need the laptop work done every time or can i just change the filter and maybe get the laptop s**t done every 40-60 thou or something.

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
and where the 'f' is it? the lpg workshop mechanic said he hooks the laptop up and checks all fuel trims as well as changing the filter. the filter needs changing every 20 thou i think, so do i need the laptop work done every time or can i just change the filter and maybe get the laptop s**t done every 40-60 thou or something.

What type of gas system is on your VZ? The vapour filters on my VZs Impco BRC system are very easy to change, as they are screw on type filters that look very similar to an old screw on type oil filter.

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeh mine is factory gas system, a few parts say brc on them. where is it located, all i can see that might be it is a black cylinder thing near the engine oil filter. is that it and how do i get it open to get the filter out.

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
OK. If it is the BRC system, then the attached file may be of some use.

Attachments

• LPG Vapour filter replacement.jpg
    LPG Vapour filter replacement.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 4,132

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
OK. If it is the BRC system, then the attached file may be of some use.

thanks for that pic mate, yeh thats where i thought they were.
so u have changed them? where do u buy them, just any parts store, do u use an oil filter wrench to remove them, did u have to get a mechanic to hook up a laptop and check fuel trims and such?

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
thanks for that pic mate, yeh thats where i thought they were.
so u have changed them? where do u buy them, just any parts store, do u use an oil filter wrench to remove them, did u have to get a mechanic to hook up a laptop and check fuel trims and such?

I purchased my last filters from a BRC dealer here in Adelaide. They are horrendously expensive (around $80 for a pair of them), considering that they are virtually identical to a standard spin-on type oil filter. To this end, some folk at work have identified a generic Ryco filter (Z436), which has the same dimensions as the BRC filter, and is 25% the cost, and have fitted this Ryco filter to the BRC gas system without any dramas. I intend to try the Ryco filters as well, when my current filters are due for replacement.

I didn't need a filter wrench to remove mine, just unscrewed them by hand. I also did not need to carry out any adjustments to the gas system.

fangios

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina wagon / SV6 sportwagon SII
Any updates to this? Do the Ryco filters really do the job? My gas guy won't even sell me the filters at all!

Low06VZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 WK HSV Grange #120
Ryco filters will be completely fine mate. I've been using them for the past 12months. Basically once i read about using them i changed them immediately.

67wogval

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore
So when buying these Ryco gas filters are they actually oil filters or gas filters? Just when i look up z436 it comes up as a oil filter replacement?

67wogval

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore
Just went and got them. Z436 screw straight on. Hopefully it fixes the problem i have when it occasionaly decides to stutter on gas. Only time will tell.