Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can i fit a VP motor into my VR

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Can i fit a VP motor into my VR i don't want the VP box as i know they are different but i noticed that
-the dip stick is on the side not the front of the motor
-and the motor has a slight decrease in power out put
and the rest looks the same and has any one done this before?
Thanks Pat.:thumbsup:

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
simple answer, yes, theyre the same engine (buik v6)

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers dude.:D

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
if the recipient car is auto, you'll need the timing case off the VR engine as vr run a cam angle sensor (manuals don't use this sensor) other than that it's plug n play. tune might be a bit off, but that's easy to fix

BOOZTJUNKEY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
i am currently doing the same thing at the moment now few questions for you guys

1st up is that the cam angle sensor beside the water pump my vp motor doesnt have it but the vr does...

also i am runninig a manual box already so wen i do the vp swap does that mean i dont have to swap the timing cover to the vp engine cause the cam angles sensor is not needed anyway ????

also i have noticed that the oxy sensor is wired different so can i run the vr loom onto the vp engine or wire the vr oxy into that loom is there any other different things on the loom that you no off apart fromm cam angle sensor ???

only reason i ask is i have a vr auto converterd to t5 manual ecu and not sure if the vp loom will run it due to the cam angle sensor will it shoot error codes or should i just leave the vp loom on ????

thanks heaps

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
if u leave the VR loom connected, and just connect everything up on the VP engine to ur loom it should be fine. the o2 sensors stay in ur exhaust and connect to the loom, which you dont need to touch. its not attached to the motor so that will be fine..

the cam angle sensor im not familar with, so i'll leave that for other members to post on.

BOOZTJUNKEY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
well the motor in the car is coming out ...i have a low k vp engine and a spare vr motor aswell which i have already removed the loom from and will be fitting to the vp motor as soon as i have some positive feedback on it as the forgotten said

if the recipient car is auto, you'll need the timing case off the VR engine as vr run a cam angle sensor (manuals don't use this sensor) other than that it's plug n play. tune might be a bit off, but that's easy to fix

if i run it with out the sensor pluged in or at all will it shoot error codes ???

keep in mind i have a vr auto ecu converted to manual so does that cancel out the cam angle

isnt the cam angle to help the computer to decide when to shift gears???

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
So is there a way to bypass the cam angle sensor as I can get a vp motor and don't really want to pull the whole front of the motor off, or can I just leave it off or will the motor not run with out it?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
if its running an auto ecu it will throw codes and will fire the injectors all at once like the early vn-vp engines.

Last edited:

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
So is it just a timing cover change and it should be be fine or should I just get a be motor