Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can i fit an Ecotec engine to a VN auto transmission?

James Edkins

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 3.8
Hi guys, I'm new to this site and im wanting to know if its possible to fit a VS Ecotec engine into my VN and use the early transmission. i have read on another thread the really well done break down of all the wiring and components needed to swap the engine into the VN but in my case im looking to keep the old trans as i have a column change and have been told the linkages dont mate up and i have nowhere for the power button to go if i fit the later trans. any help would be appreciated!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yes you can.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You should also be able to use the VN ECU etc and just get a memcal tune to suit an Eco.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
VN trans will bolt up fine to the ecotec.

Just a few things I have remembered from my VR ecotec and a friend's VN ecotec completed last year.
You will need the ecotec thermo fan and shroud to mount the power steering res to.
Use VS stock exhaust manifolds and the VN Y pipe will need to be slightly modified.
Use the VN coolant temp sensors, will need an adaptor or drill and tap new holes.
Manifold air temp sensor will need to be drilled and tapped into the plenum.
Use the VN knock sensor.
Use the VN wiring loom, will need to strip back and re-route. TPS wires will need to be extended.
The VN air intake tube can be cut shorter to fit the ecotec.