Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can I keep both DRL and headlights on at the same time?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I don't think Rajesh was joking. But I tend to agree with him re the fuel savings. Ok so there's a reduction as the alternator is not working as hard, but try measuring the fuel saving over a 12 month period...nominal at best. Certainly the instant L/100k reading in my Redline doesn't change between night and day when the headlights come on.

I'm happy to be proven wrong.

kyled2012

I.T. Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6
I agree that the instant difference may not be noticeable in L/100. I'd like to see a comparison of running low-beams vs led DRLs for an extended period but even a small reduction would make a big difference when 50k or more cars have adopted LEDs.

profat

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt olympic model
OK to clear all confusion the ADR pertaining to DRL and Headlight operation states

The third edition ADRs only allow white daytime running lights.

(5) " Daytime running lights must be wired so they are off when a headlight, except a headlight being used as a flashing signal, is on."

this rule is a national design rule....therefore mandatory in all states

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
1085.jpg

^^ DRL's and headlights on at the same time.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Re the fuel efficiency thing. You are correct in saying that the fuel usage over the space of 12 months will be nominal at best. But the studies done in both Europe and Canada (they also have compulsory DRLs) when mandating DRL the extra emissions from vehicle. The problem is not the financial cost of the fuel spent but the increased emissions from every vehicle now consuming more power, more fuel and more exhaust gases multiplied by literally millions of cars worldwide and the effect it would have on the natural resources and the ozone/greenhouse.

I personally am a big fan of DRLs and have seen them save many lives from my time in the northern states of the US, Canada and Alaska. So for the sake of a couple of trees vs saving hundreds of lives globally each year... I don't care But LEDs are definetly a smarter way of doing it.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Re the fuel efficiency thing. You are correct in saying that the fuel usage over the space of 12 months will be nominal at best. But the studies done in both Europe and Canada (they also have compulsory DRLs) when mandating DRL the extra emissions from vehicle. The problem is not the financial cost of the fuel spent but the increased emissions from every vehicle now consuming more power, more fuel and more exhaust gases multiplied by literally millions of cars worldwide and the effect it would have on the natural resources and the ozone/greenhouse.

I personally am a big fan of DRLs and have seen them save many lives from my time in the northern states of the US, Canada and Alaska. So for the sake of a couple of trees vs saving hundreds of lives globally each year... I don't care But LEDs are definetly a smarter way of doing it.

Yeah agree I think they're great. I've always driven in daylight with my low beams on even before Holden started using the Auto headlight switch, and turning off the lights with the ignition (VR/VS?). Safety first. Which is another reason why I want to have them running both day AND night. Obviously I got the multiplier effect over millions of vehicles.

But are you saying that DRL's actually consume MORE power hence fuel? I thought the point of the Vic Roads excerpt was that they use LESS power / fuel than conventional headlights.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Little confusing... LEDs typically use less power than a headlight. Without a doubt. I'm saying that having any form of DRL is going to cause a vehicle to consume more fuel (SFA more... but, more nonetheless)

DRLs have been around for many many years. One of my daily runners in the US was a 96 Toyota Tacoma (Hilux) as it was a northern states vehicles it was released from the factory with a DRL module. Once the vehicle went into drive my headlights would automatically come on and stay on until I switched the car off. BUT if the bulbs were on 100% of 100% of it's operating life then I would be buying new bulbs every 12 months and have a constant 110W draw from the alternator regardless (hence more fuel). So instead, the module used to drop the voltage to the bulbs down to about 8volts. Brighter than park lights and extended bulb life, lower output from the alternator and still highly visible on the roads. Now in the past few years we have seen the swap to DRLs being LED it means that bulb life doesn't factor into the equation and at about 20watts consumption the alternator doesn't really care either.

The average Australian really only knows DRLs as being LEDs. Reality is, the rest of the world knows different :)

kyled2012

I.T. Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6
OK to clear all confusion the ADR pertaining to DRL and Headlight operation states

The third edition ADRs only allow white daytime running lights.

(5) " Daytime running lights must be wired so they are off when a headlight, except a headlight being used as a flashing signal, is on."

this rule is a national design rule....therefore mandatory in all states
I'm fairly sure that's been since amended. HSV Gen F's and lots of euro cars have DRLs dimmed when headlights are on, from factory.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The average Australian really only knows DRLs as being LEDs. Reality is, the rest of the world knows different :)

Incorrect...... Most Aussies think foglights are DRL's... :doh:

kyled2012

I.T. Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6