Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can I modify my car? Contract Question

Nitronic_12

Loser of the loser flyby
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Wagon
When I bought my car I got some 5 year coverage on my car for certain things if anything happens to the vehicle, that is, certain engine damages etc...

Now what I want to do is to modify my sound system, the exhaust and maybe give the car a tune.

Things that I know are excluded from the contract are modified vehicles by the removal of cutout rotors or any factory fitted governing apparatus. Now my question is what does mean? I have no idea what a cutout rotor or any factory fitting apparatus.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Don't like your chance of any engine warranty if you have a tune. Zorst is probably ok. Make sure you wire any stereo correctly but if you have electrical issues they may wipe it. Read the fine print on your policy to be sure.

Reaper

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Most policies like that will state that any modified parts are not covered. Generally it won't invalidate your whole warranty, but the parts affected by the modification will be. If something breaks and the modifications potentially contributed to the failure, they will probably deny coverage.

You may get around this by getting the dealer to fit the mods, but you'll have to discuss with them.

Check your contract, your milage may vary.

Nitronic_12

Loser of the loser flyby
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Wagon
Blah. Oh well.

According to the contact looks like they'll be paying peanuts for the repairs on any damages, so I'm mostly worried about keeping my insurance. After all I'm only on my L's.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Blah. Oh well.

According to the contact looks like they'll be paying peanuts for the repairs on any damages, so I'm mostly worried about keeping my insurance. After all I'm only on my L's.

Best concentrate on driving for now then, save the mods for later :)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
You have a damn nice car now anyway. Leave it as it is for a while and get your driving sorted out like Danja suggests.