Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

can i put a vr v6 into a vn s2 both auto?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
excellent news, any queries just post here and i'm sure someone will help out, straight forward swap so should go in easily.

tips i can think of, if you have working ac just unbolt the compressor and with the air cleaner box removed you should be able to lift it up to that spot to get it out of the way, saves degassing and regassing if you don't need to, if you have both engine looms it's easier to install the engine with the loom already connected and you just have to feed it to where it needs to go (battery and fuse box area and through the firewall to the ecu)

johno

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn s2
Got a couple of pics up on profile of car and engine. Quick question I took the tapper covers off and it has roller rockers did vr's come out standard with roller rockers? and if not is there any way to tell if they have a performance lift?

johno

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn s2
Not sure if it has ac but I do have a Vr wiring loom unattached to the motor should I plug everything in and then install the engine? Will the loom plug straight into the vn plug inside the car?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
yeah vr's had needle rollers on the pivot point as standard.

nah i meant put the vn loom on the vr engine before you install it.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
I left my VP wiring in the engine bay and fitted it to the VR motor once it was in place. I remember it being pretty fiddley in places down the bottom of the motor. Either way take careful note of the wiring route before and as you are disassembling. Photos are good. I also attached masking tape with notes as I took things apart just to be sure. Just don't cover it all with engine oil and grease as you work so that it ends up un-readable when you need it. I also chose to lift out motor and transmission together, removed trans from motor out of the car and then put the 2 back in together. Not everyone would agree but I've only changed one motor and that's the way I did it. Be careful not to drop the torque converter when you take the trans off the motor. Do you have a shop manual? If not, it's a worthwhile investment.

DavoVP

Reaction score
Ive done it the same way as VPROB, It wasn't at all hard.

I didn't bother labeling anything there isn't much to it.

I had to drop the extractors to refit , wasn't that big of a deal.

johno

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn s2
Cheers guys yeah I chose to throughly degrease the engine and engine bay as pretty much step number one as I have changed plenty of motors on vb vc vh commodores before and having a clean engine + bay helps with the overall install. (first time changing a v6 though) I think taking the wiring out of the vn and wiring it up first is a great idea!! Would make it heaps Easier to troubleshoot the locations of cables with plenty of room to move around the engine! I think I'll take the g box out n put on the Vr engine and drop it in as 1 sounds the go. It's all happening next weekend hope it all goes smooth.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
i've swapped a few v6's in the past and without a workshop and a hoist i'd be putting the trans and engine together out of the car also, if all you have is jacks, stands and ramps there's bugger all room to try and get them to meet in the car, the last engine i put in had the wiring loom, trans, cooler lines, exhaust manifolds and the Y pipe installed (make sure the o2 sensor is not in it) prior to to dropping it into the car (learnt later i should've left the passenger side engine mount lose on the block to make it easier to line up the engine mount)

using a nice strong carport, block and tackle, 2 people and a hydraulic jack the engine was dropped in and bolted up in about 30 mins and my helper had never tackled anything like this (took me a bit more time to add tailshaft, exhaust, refit bonnet and unwrap the loom & plug it in just to find out the fuel pump had crapped itself but the hard work was out of the way quickly)