Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can i put an AGM battery in my SVZ wagon?

Rex-SVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
I recently bought a SVZ wagon, only to be used for road trips and camping. I need to replace the battery.

The car will sit in the garage for months at a time, and then when it is camped somewhere, i'll be leaning on the battery to run accessories... so a heavy duty AGM battery seems most suitable for my needs. I've googled but cannot find any AGM recommendations for a VZ.

Can a VZ even use an AGM battery? Or will it mess with the AlloyTec's computer? Has anyone used an AGM in a VZ? Can anyone recommend a good AGM battery for my travel-wagon?

Thanks in advance.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
I recently bought a SVZ wagon, only to be used for road trips and camping. I need to replace the battery.

The car will sit in the garage for months at a time, and then when it is camped somewhere, i'll be leaning on the battery to run accessories... so a heavy duty AGM battery seems most suitable for my needs. I've googled but cannot find any AGM recommendations for a VZ.

Can a VZ even use an AGM battery? Or will it mess with the AlloyTec's computer? Has anyone used an AGM in a VZ? Can anyone recommend a good AGM battery for my travel-wagon?

Thanks in advance.
optima make one but there over priced most batterys now are sealed and don t need filling i have century ultra heavy duty in both cars just get a good trickle charger
here is a optima AGM battery on ebay https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/182256756829?epid=13040540640&hash=item2a6f59685d:g:3KUAAOSw8~ZfA2vZ

Rex-SVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Thanks for your reply Fu.

I'm tossing up now between those two batteries.

Cheers

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I watched something yesterday about century AGM v Optima. I’ll try find it.

Edit: Here it is.
Go to about 5mins.

Last edited:

Rex-SVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
I've been researching all day, and i'm now tending towards an Optima Yellow Top D35.

I'll be driving this VZ wagon from Sydney to Far North Queensland a lot over the next few years. I'll be using a laptop computer and playing music for many hours while camping beside rivers full of crocodiles in the monsoonal rain. When i turn the car key, i'm really going to need my motor to start.

When the car is not traveling to distant places, it will sit in the garage for weeks or months, so i need a battery with slow discharge. I may take it for occasional short city drives, during which i'll need the battery to recharge quickly. A Yellow Top seems to suit all these requirements.

I'm happy to pay for a premium battery, especially if it lasts years longer. I just can't trust a conventional battery that's designed for everyday city commutes.

Do ACDelco sell a good AGM that'll work in a VZ? I haven't been able to find a model number for that yet.

Can i just drop an Optima D35 into my VZ without modifying the battery bay?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I wouldn’t bother with an optima again personally. My cars also sit for months at a time and start without issue. The Hj doesn’t start for 6+ months sometimes and I had a supercharge in it from 2014-2020.

AGM need a higher charge voltage and they hate engine bay heat.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
optima make one but there over priced most batterys now are sealed and don t need filling i have century ultra heavy duty in both cars just get a good trickle charger
here is a optima AGM battery on ebay https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/182256756829?epid=13040540640&hash=item2a6f59685d:g:3KUAAOSw8~ZfA2vZ
I used to have an Optima battery in my Nissan NXR waaayy back in the day. One New Years Eve I was sat at Mt Coot-Tha from about 8pm to 12:30am with my 1500 watt stereo with dual subs going full belt the whole time.

Just had enough juice left to start it when the night was done which surprised me. I’d parked it pointing down the hill so I could clutch start it if need be but I didn’t need to.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I've been researching all day, and i'm now tending towards an Optima Yellow Top D35.

I'll be driving this VZ wagon from Sydney to Far North Queensland a lot over the next few years. I'll be using a laptop computer and playing music for many hours while camping beside rivers full of crocodiles in the monsoonal rain. When i turn the car key, i'm really going to need my motor to start.

When the car is not traveling to distant places, it will sit in the garage for weeks or months, so i need a battery with slow discharge. I may take it for occasional short city drives, during which i'll need the battery to recharge quickly. A Yellow Top seems to suit all these requirements.

I'm happy to pay for a premium battery, especially if it lasts years longer. I just can't trust a conventional battery that's designed for everyday city commutes.

Do ACDelco sell a good AGM that'll work in a VZ? I haven't been able to find a model number for that yet.

Can i just drop an Optima D35 into my VZ without modifying the battery bay?
Jay Leno swears by Optima batteries (probably has a sponsorship deal with them TBH). Says they work well with his massive fleet of cars that hardly get used.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
what i have read is the quality of has gone down hill since shifting manufacturing from usa to mexico and im happy if i get 5 years out of any battery and the cars still draws power thats why you need a trickle charger if you are going let it sit for long periods of time