Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can I use a vs ute for v6 conversion?

Tbone13

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk Calais
hi all I have come across a vs s pac ute with 240k on the clock cheap and wondering if this can be used for a v6 conversion in vk calais is there any differences between the ute and sedan in regards to the conversion I should know about or any dramas I may come across ? TIA

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The VS PCM might make it a challenge. It would be easier with a VN or VP donor car. That way your not relying on trans input as they run different auto. If going manual probably still easier with T5 bolted up to a Buick.
Probably better off using a 304 and running VN or VP PCM.

Tbone13

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk Calais
The VS PCM might make it a challenge. It would be easier with a VN or VP donor car. That way your not relying on trans input as they run different auto. If going manual probably still easier with T5 bolted up to a Buick.
Probably better off using a 304 and running VN or VP PCM.
thanks for the reply mate where iam located its near impossible to find a vn or vp hence I've moved to the vs ive been advised by v6 conversions it shouldn't be a drama to go the vs just not sure if there's any difference between the sedan and ute

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
It can be done with right combination of parts....depends on what end result wanted & just how capable you are mechanically.

Basically everything from centre bearing & cat forward...v6 k frame,m/cyl & booster,calipers & radiator tiebar.

Then buy vl-n/p 290mm front discs & vats disabled...hopefully yours is factory efi 6 as better base with efi fuel tank,lines,relays etc

To do it properly it's alot of labour just to get that far then got all little things to finish off like welding in late model tiebar & wiring.

Going v8 is less work but some parts can be more costly with either conversion

Tbone13

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk Calais
It can be done with right combination of parts....depends on what end result wanted & just how capable you are mechanically.

Basically everything from centre bearing & cat forward...v6 k frame,m/cyl & booster,calipers & radiator tiebar.

Then buy vl-n/p 290mm front discs & vats disabled...hopefully yours is factory efi 6 as better base with efi fuel tank,lines,relays etc

To do it properly it's alot of labour just to get that far then got all little things to finish off like welding in late model tiebar & wiring.

Going v8 is less work but some parts can be more costly with either conversion
yeah mine is factory efi 6 thanks for the advice

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Bit of headstart with efi fuel tank & lines already done...join front half of vs tailshaft to your vk rear & get it balanced.

If can weld & do mechanical swap yourself or with somebody's help may not hurt wallet too much...if paying for it all better to decide now just how much v8 will cost versus six pot.

Tbone13

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk Calais
Bit of headstart with efi fuel tank & lines already done...join front half of vs tailshaft to your vk rear & get it balanced.

If can weld & do mechanical swap yourself or with somebody's help may not hurt wallet too much...if paying for it all better to decide now just how much v8 will cost versus six pot.
a lot of it will be done myself and got a mechanic that will help with some of it the parts that wrecking my head is the BCM and the existing dash how to get everything to work eg speedo and air con, I would love to be able to do a full swap and get the vs dash into the vk

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ute BCM is different to sedan. Not sure if this will really matter in VK?

SquishyShoes

or something like that
Reaction score
Members Ride
Shoes
PCM won't matter, as in the computer for the engine, and BCM you can throw away. Just make sure to get a memcal or memcal tune to remove VATS and suit your engine/transmission combo. Your VK starting EFI gets rid of a lot of the normal pains like tank, diff, lines etc. There are a couple of threads on this exact conversion in the VB VC etc sub forum if you would like some more in depth info. They should be stickied at the top.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Posted above to get vats disable & majority of conversion details.

Only thing left out was need vl p/steer intermediate shaft & splined vl/n p/steer rack.