Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can key's be reprogrammed?

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
I have a VS Statesman, and I have a spare VX key I forgot to pass on when I sold it, will the VX key work in my VS, they're both sedans so both have the boot release button.

I went into a mister minut (key place) and he told me once a code had been put on a key it couldn't be changed but I don't believe him for some reason I have a feeling i've heard of it being done before.

Can anyone let me know if its possible.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Best place to ask would probably be Holden.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
Best place to ask would probably be Holden.

Yea more than likely, but they are useless at the one in my home town, if its not a VE they will barely even service it and they don't want to know.

aceventura

Doesn't drive like this
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda 6
Found this a while ago: Commodore Remote Key Heads | OldHolden.com

There is a lot to wade through to find what you need. I think to program a new key is easy, to reprogram an old key, you need to go to Holden - or someone who has the right equipment.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
Oh thats sounding better, I have a friend with a snap on TECH 2 so maybe able to use this to program my key.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
Thought I should share this here:

When the parts come in, assembly the key and fob with the screws and program the fob in the car (insert key, turn to on, wait ten minutes for horn to beep, turn key off and back on under 5 seconds, wait 10 minutes for two horn beeps, turn key off and on in under 5 seconds, wait 10 minutes for three beeps, turn key off and then try to start the car. It should). The fob should be programmed. Check your door locks too.

Worked on a 3 button VS remote!

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You will need to reset the keyhead back to factory default first. There is a guy on here that works for Mr Minit I think, he can do it.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
Yea i've hit up my local mr minit, but they say it cannot be done, but I think this is more just a ploy to sell more new keys.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
No they are write once only
all this crap about key on, key off & hor beeping is complete rubbish
it cannot work, the BCCM needs to send the request to the remote first & no amount of standing on one leg & clucking like a chicken will do it.
some keys can be reset using a particular sequence & the correct programming tool.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I have always thought they can't be done either but apparently if you have the correct equipment, you can reset the keyhead back to the factory default. Somewhere on the SC forum I think someone put up the code....can't find it though.