Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can rubber engine mounts go hard after many years?

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
Trying to make the 5L VP all quiet and shooshy inside like a limo. At around the 1500 rpm mark there is a drony, moany kind of sound (pretty sure not exhaust) that might actually be coming from the p/s pump though when you listen to it with the bonnet up it is not really that noisy. You can hear it in the car like it is coming through the metalwork. It is not loud or anything, just you can hear it. What I am wondering is, seeing the rubber engine mounts are nearly 20 years old, can they gradually go hard and inflexible and so transmit more vibrations and noise to the car structure?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
rubber certainly does age. i'd look at the exhaust mounts also for noise transmission

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
Im not sure but arent the engine mounts hard when they are new and over the years they become softer and start to split

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i though rubber hardens with age and then becomes brittle and starts to crack

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well now I've got new engine mounts and what a difference! When you sit at the lights for example you can barely feel the engine idling. The moany sound has shut up quite a bit too. One thing that is still there (but much reduced) is about 1500 rpm even in neutral, a (slight) shaky vibration. I noticed that the crankshaft pulley doesn't run exactly true - it is about 1/2 mm off centre so would this be enough to put things off balance? Could someone else with a 5L go outside and give there car a little rev slowly up and down in the 1000-2000 rpm range and see if this vibration is a common thing or not? If it is the same with all 5Ls then I'll just have to live with it, otherwise I'll see about taking the pulley off, bolting it to a dummy harmonic balancer and sticking it in a lathe and see if it can't be trued up a bit.

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looks like the pulley is a little bit crooked, not eccentric.
The further you go out from the harmonic balancer the wobblier it gets. The innermost groove for the a/c belt hardly moves at all but the outer one moves 1/2mm. Maybe there is some dirt or stuff between the face of the balancer and the pulley, or maybe the first bolt was done up real tight so it is pulled over a bit, then the other three done up.